General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord Oil Went Everywhere at Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Question 1998 Honda Accord Oil Went Everywhere at Filter

Hi, hope someone can help me.

I changed the oil today on my 4cyl. 1998 Honda Accord. I've done it many times on various vehicles.

Anyway, I turned on the car oil went everywhere out the bottom. The plug at the pan was dry.

I saw that it was flowing out of the filter. Then I saw that a gasket was hanging out of the filter and so the filter wasn't flush.

I took the filter of, fram, and there were two gaskets. Never seen that. There is an inner gasket on the filter. Then there was a larger gasket I had never seen. It fit perfectly on the outer rim of the fram oil filter, so I put it on there and tightened and no more leak.

What is that outer gasket from? It's not from the oil filter. Thank you for any help.

Should I not be driving this car now? It's not leaking.

edit: so why would I have an inner and outer gasket? The old one only had the inner gasket.

Last edited by ShadetreeWouldbe; 08-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ShadetreeWouldbe
Hi, hope someone can help me.

I changed the oil today on my 4cyl. 1998 Honda Accord. I've done it many times on various vehicles.

Anyway, I turned on the car oil went everywhere out the bottom. The plug at the pan was dry.

I saw that it was flowing out of the filter. Then I saw that a gasket was hanging out of the filter and so the filter wasn't flush.

I took the filter of, fram, and there were two gaskets. Never seen that. There is an inner gasket on the filter. Then there was a larger gasket I had never seen. It fit perfectly on the outer rim of the fram oil filter, so I put it on there and tightened and no more leak.

What is that outer gasket from? It's not from the oil filter. Thank you for any help.

Should I not be driving this car now? It's not leaking.

edit: so why would I have an inner and outer gasket? The old one only had the inner gasket.
The other gasket is from your old oil filter; you committed one of the oldest gaffs in the book (not a criticism, lots and lots of mechanics have done it before you), not checking the filter mount area for the old gasket before screwing your new on on.

Pull the filter, remove the second gasket, put the filter back on, refill the engine with oil, and *hope* you didn't do any damage to the engine.

Last edited by shipo; 08-25-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM

Well, that's what I thought, but here's the problem. The old filter was the same one that I have now. How did it have two gaskets? It only has the inner one (I saved it.) The new one has an inner.

Maybe the old one had it for some reason. I do not know. Anyway, I went back and removed the outer/old one, tightened, no leak. Thanks. Don't know how I had an extra gasket though.