General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord oil everywhere and brief stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Default 94 accord oil everywhere and brief stalling

hey guys

had a weird thing happen to me yesterday: i was driving home when all of a sudden the car wouldn't respond and was sputtering when giving it gas, like the transmission wouldn't engage or a loss of power. it did this for about 10 seconds, by the time i pulled over it went back to normal. drove around a bit more and was fine. the transmission is automatic and the car was mildly rear ended a couple of months ago and i'm noticing the transmission has hiccups sometimes when shifting.

this morning i noticed some oil on the grill. i opened the hood and saw that the oil cap had flown off and sprayed oil everywhere like a blowback or something. this was very weird because everything looked fine, even the cap. i added some oil and drove it to work. drove it at lunch. drives normal, with inconsistent slipping around 3rd.

could a bad trans cause this? could the oil cap have been loose while driving and the sudden change in oil pressure have sent oil everywhere? or is this another issue?

any ideas would help

thanks

Last edited by no.never; 04-09-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Oil cap may have been left off accidentally or left very loose. I've never heard of one backing off if tight.

Did oil pressure light or Check Engine Light come on at any time?

Check auto trans fluid level. Suggest a drain/replace w/ Honda ATF if not done recently.

good luck

Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM

i think oil was added last week, the cap must've been loose.

no lights came on. the car also didn't shut off, just sputtered when stepping on the gas.

as far as i know this car hasn't had any major maintenance or repairs in years. the trans will definitely get checked. hopefully all i need is a refresh.