General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Honda Accord VTech 4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 Honda Accord VTech 4 cylinder

I have an oil leak coming from the back of my engine. It seems to be leaking down and dripping upon my catalytic converter , and creating a large amount of smoke.
I have lost pressure I feel. It is hard to start, and I have to put the accelerator to the floor, to get it started. Then it easily dies on me.

I am just asking what I should be looking for, and any directive help. Im not good at diagnosis, yet I can turn a wrench for sure so to speak.

If the problem was the oil pressure switch, would it lose compression?

Please help

thanks
98 Honda Accord Vtech 4cylinder

Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Since you have a leak, check your oil level to make sure you aren't low. Keep a few quarts of fluid in the trunk until you get the leak fixed.

Was there any work done on the car not long before you had this oil leak?

If you pull the connector from the oil pressure switch and it is filled with oil, then you found your leak.

Leaking oil shouldn't cause low compression, unless you are extremely low on oil. You should do a compression test to see if you have any issues. You can also inspect the spark plugs while you are doing this.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Did you measure cylinder compression? Or just saying you might have lost oil pressure?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I replaced the oil pressure switch. It is a wire connection. No oil is connected to this switch. It was above the oil filter.
I found my knock sensor, which is next to the oil pressure switch, was broken as well. A bad knock sensor wouldnt throw off compression?
I still have the same problem with compression. Car will start and run, but I have to keep a constant press on my accelerator. It will not get enough compression to move.
Is there another pressure switch I should be looking for? I did see different types of switches, one called a transmission/oil switch as well.
and since the oil was not leaking from the oil pressure switch, where else could it be coming from? I checked the head cylinder, no leak at all.

thanks fellas

Old 03-18-2016, 06:17 AM

VTech solenoid is a common leak. Have you had a draw down or compression test done yet?