General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Default A/C Compressor Protection

I bought an '09 Accord with 190hp 2.4l earlier today and before purchasing it the dealer replaced the A/C compressor on it because road debris hit the old one and cracked it causing it to fail. Did anyone do a DIY on fabricating a homemade protection for the A/C Compressor?

Old 03-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

I would think the compressor is under the splash shield and is protected. Do you mean the a/c condenser was damaged?

Old 03-19-2016, 12:21 AM

i was surprised to see A/C compressor fail at such a low mileage. I did some research and apparently the road debris enters the engine bay compartment through the opening in the front bumper. If debris has enough weight and velocity it hits the A/C compressor and cracks the housing. The compressor sits low and is right behind the front bumper. From what I read on the Internet it appears to be a common issue on Accords.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Damage from debris "if" it happens, will usually be to the condenser, not the compressor.

Refer to these other threads for some info.:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ndenser-46420/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-issue-59681/

Old 03-19-2016, 04:19 AM

I know that "if" damage happens it's usually to the condenser, but there was a class action lawsuit against Honda for a design flaw where road debris enters the front bumper opening and damages the compressor, not only condenser. The Accord I bought had to get new compressor installed because of road debris damage.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

The class action lawsuit alleges that the Odyssey is unduly prone to damage to the condenser from road debris, and that the CR-V and TSX suffer excessive failures of compressors.

• Odyssey Sub-Class: Odyssey Settlement Members may receive 100% reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses made to repair “Condenser Road Debris Damage,” where the repairs were or are performed within the original 3-year/36,000 mile warranty period. This damage is defined as damage to the condenser that was caused as a result of rocks, pebbles or other road debris striking the condenser.
Honda will also make available a screen that will protect the air conditioning condenser in Class Members’ Odyssey from road debris damage. Honda will reimburse Odyssey Sub-Class Members for the purchase price of the screen (up to $35.06) as well as reimburse $20 of the labor costs associated with installing the screen if it is purchased and professionally installed on an Odyssey Sub-Class Vehicle.
  • CR-V Sub-Class: CR-V Settlement Members may receive reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses they incurred within 8 years/96,000 miles from the date of purchase for “Compressor Damage,” which is defined as damage to the compressor and associated air conditioning system parts as a result of the failure of the internal components of the compressor and/or the compressor clutch.
Honda Air Conditioning/Compressor Class Action Settlement