General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord won't start after shipping to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Default 1998 Honda Accord won't start after shipping to Europe

Hi everyone,

My worst nightmare has come through. I'm in the military, posted to Europe, my 98 Accord EX V6 arrived, but it won't start. To avoid this type of problem I replaced the Battery and spark plugs about a month before leaving. No issues.

The car is turning over well, but will not start. I've had this problem before after storing for a long time, but some gas line antifreeze and/or new gas, plus pumping the accelorator always did the trick. Tried that again, no luck. The shipping company started my vehicle and moved it to a parking area, but now it just wont start again.

I don't have a code reader or a gage to check fuel pressure. Labour in Belgium is very expensive, and parts are hard to get. I'm guessing the problem is a fuel pump or relay issue. I checked all fuel related fuses.

One more thing. Before leaving, I remember hearing a "motar whirring" type sound coming from my car, even when the ignition was off and the keys were out. It only made the sound for about two seconds, and would only happen periodically. Could it be I had a problem where the fuel pump was activating and burned out?

Can anyone offer suggestions to help me get back on the road. If I need to take it in, what can I ask them to test / check specifically so I don't end up paying hundreds of Euros?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

1) Can you get some starting fluid/spray? Spray into intake to decide whether it's lack of spark vs. lack of fuel. If it fires up for a few seconds on that stuff then your spark is OK.

2) Listen for your fuel pump. Turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn to START. The check-engine light should come on for 2 seconds then turn off. During those 2 seconds while the CEL is on, listen for the fuel pump running. It's kinda soft, so turn off the radio & ventilation, etc.

... That buzzing sound when it's turne off is located under the car, roughly below the left-rear seat?? That would be the EVAP vent opening. The fuel tank isn't openly vented, but when it builds up some pressure it relieves through a 2-way valve at the EVAP canister. Some people have said it sounds like a motor running, which it isn't.