General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 - S REG - Honda Accord 1.8i - Engine Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Default 1998 - S REG - Honda Accord 1.8i - Engine Won't Start

Hi All
Help and advice required
I’m having problems starting my car, Help required ASAP
I have a 5 Door Honda Accord Saloon(S Reg – 1998)1.8i, I have had my Honda for the past 8 years and I have had no problems with it, until the past 6 months it’s been playing up. Sometimes what happens is when if start the engine and let the key go, the engine switches off again, i need to try multiple times before the car starts or I may have to keep the gas pressed and rev it for a while for the engine to stay on, I was driving once and the engine went of which was a bit scary. Another thing i have noticed and maybe a bit unusual is every time i fill up my car full tank which is every 2 weeks the same problem occurs, I have to rev the car and then keep turning the ignition key for the engine to pick up and its happen to me 6 times in a row in my local fuel station and its embarrassing. I’ve changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter and i still have the same issue, my mate told me to take it to Honda dealers and tell them to run a diagnostic tool which may 50/50 detect the fault, but that costs £70 quid
Another thing I’ve noticed is when I drive from work to home about 15 miles, obviously the engine is hot, when I park outside me house and switch the engine off and on again it won’t start up because I’m assuming the engine is hot and something’s causing it not to start. Another thing that is annoying is when I’m stopped on the traffic light and press the gas to set off, it feels like there’s no power going into the engine even though I put my foot down and it slowly picks up .strange
I have taken it to mechanics and they all say different things, this is what they have told me to change , because they all have said different I’m confused and don’t want to be wasting money as i cannot afford it, I would really appreciate your professional advice
Battery
Starter Motor
Spark Plugs – I changed it 6 weeks ago
Fuel Filter – I changed it 6 weeks ago
HT Leads - The leads that go from the distributor to the spark plugs
My car looks like - http://images.drive24.co.uk/RXC_D24I...jpg/Image.ashx
Can someone please advice what i can do to get this resolved?
Thank you

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Does the starter crank the engine strongly? If so, then your battery & starter motor are good.

HT leads - you can check those. Cold engine in complete darkness (very early in morning). Open the hood & turn off all lights. Start the engine & look for arcing around the wires. Any arcs, or even a dull blue glow, indicate the insulation of the wires is going bad. Same for the distributor cap.

Spark plugs... What kind did you buy? Honda seems to like NGK best. Some people have had problems with Bosch in Honda engines.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Turn on the key...wait 5 seconds for the fuel pump to build full pressure.....then crank the engine.
Sometimes when warm engine hold the gas 1/2 way.
When you say you are holding the gas pedal to get it to start & run; that means you are letting in more air so I think you have a flooded engine problem.
Maybe an injector leak down test ?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 AM

Again iv,e just been to my car and had to try for 20 mins for the car to start up, do you reckon it’s the started motor? I had to tunr the key and leave my foot on the gas for 5 secs for the engine to pick up, when i let the gas pedal go the engine dies out again