General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord Air Compressor Pulley Replacement

Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Default 1999 Accord Air Compressor Pulley Replacement

I may have made a mistake posting this question in the DIY section - Sorry.

1999 Accord Ex - 4 cyl. with AT

I believe the bearing is bad on my air compressor pulley so I'm planning on replacing it. Can anybody tell me if a special tool is required to remove the outer cover plate so that I can access the snap ring and remove the pulley. I removed the 10mm bolt that secures the cover plate, however, the cover plate doesn't seem to want to come off.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 PM

Are you hearing a "roaring" noise from your compressor?
I have replaced one before and believe the snap ring is below the pulley, so you wouldnt have to access the snap ring.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagram...sor-456718.png

The bearing is built into the pulley.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

The clutch plate should just slide off. There are shims (small washers) that you want to make sure you collect and not have them fall all over the place.

I think the next step after clutch removal is the snap ring, then the pulley should come off. Hopefully you have enough room to do this, or you would have to unbolt the compressor and turn it, so you can slide off the pulley. Just be careful not to bend the a/c lines.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Default 99 Accord Air Compressor Pulley Diagnosis and Partial Removal

The pulley was making knocking and squeking sounds and I could see it wobbling a little bit when the engine was running. Once I removed the belt, I confirmed that I could wiggle (or rock) the pulley by hand.

First I unbolted the alternator and moved it out of the way. Next, I removed the four (4) compressor bolts. With the refrigeration lines still attached, I rotated the compressor 90 degrees up to remove the 10mm clutch plate bolt with an impact wrench. Everything was pretty easy up to this point. Next, I expected the clutch plate to slide off, however, it just doesn't budge. I tried tapping it lighty with a hammer and even used a flat head screwdriver to pry on it a bit to see if it would pop off. This is the point at which I figured I better stop and ask for some help. Before I damage something else trying to get this plate off, I wanted to make sure there wasn't a special puller tool I should be using. I have attached a diagram to provide some clarification.

Attached Files
Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the diagram. The clutch plate in your diagram usually comes right off w/o any resistance. That is a might expensive part!

Have you tried and PB blaster or WD-40 and let it sit for a while to soak in?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Post #2, page 21-21 might help.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM

I haven't tried PB Blaster or WD-40 yet but I will when I get home today. Yeah the clutch set was pretty expensive at $175 w/shipping but I thought it would be much easier and cheaper than replacing the whole compressor.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Roader - I clicked on the Post#2 link but I'm not sure how to locate page 21-21.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM
Default Compressor Clutch Overhaul

Roader - I downloaded the service manual and think you were trying to point me to page 21-51 (see attachment)??? Step 2 just says remove the pressure plate (A).... and it doesn't look like any special tool is required. However, there is a tool that looks sort of like an alan wrench but I'm not sure what it is for. Like djkurious suggested, it may just need some WD-40.

Attached Files

Last edited by HondaSid; 05-05-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment
Old 05-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Page 21-21 is titled Compressor Clutch Overhaul ('98-00 model), which is what I thought you were asking for. Page 21-56 has something to do with reading HVAC DTCs. I'm not sure what that page's relevance is to your project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Accord Air Compressor Pulley Replacement