General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord LX 2.3 VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Default 1999 Accord LX 2.3 VTEC

I have seen a similar thread concerning the P1259 code, but I think my problem may be slightly different. The engine runs great on this car except when I get into it real hard. It doesn't matter if it's from a dead stop or if I'm trying to pass or accelerate real fast. When I punch it, the engine starts to rev up and down and the car jerks pretty hard back and forth until I let off the gas a little and then it returns to normal. I had someone look at it and they supposedly cleaned the solenoid, but it still does it. He even pulled the fuel pump and saw that the chip was burned on that so we replaced that. At this point everything is a crapshoot and I can't afford to spend anymore on a "chance." I also notice that from a dead stop, the RPM's are almost in the red before it shifts from 1st to 2nd. I should mention that when I bought this car it had a blown head gasket. I had the head, valves, etc checked and the head was warped. I had it resurfaced and then put back on the car. At first, the CEL was not on, but after it ran a while it came on. I test drove it and what I said above is what I experienced. This is my first post, so hopefully I have been clear enough. Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Stop by a parts store like autozone and have your codes scanned on your PCM. Post the code on here. They all start with the letter P and have 3 numbers, like the code you posted before.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM

The only 2 codes according to Auto Zone are the P1259 and P1157. Hope this helps.
Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Looks like either Autozone errored during extracting codes, or you wrote one of them down incorrectly.

P1157 - Air Fuel Sensor High Voltage
Since you have an oxygen sensor and not a A/F sensor, this code is incorrect.

P1259 - This is Vtec system malfunction and may be correct. Usually indicates failed vtec valve solenoid or vtec pressure switch. Details were not provided by Autozone manual where I looked.

Suggest resetting ECU by pulling Clock/Radio fuse (7.5A) in underhood fuse box for 20 secs. Recheck codes w/ Autozone, eyeball them, and write them down.

good luck

Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have replaced the solenoid valve and the 1259 code is gone. Now I get a new code of P1167 that wasn't there before. The previous problem has been resolved and the car runs great. Any ideas what this could be? TIA

Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM

See this thread. https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...my-mind-23858/

Is your car a ULEV Accord? Perhaps Jim Blake will comment.

The Autozone manual does not mention a P1167 for this vehicle.

Suggest you reset the ECU and see what code returns.

good luck

Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Yes, the car has the ULEV engine. I have read that particular thread you mentioned and it seems as though I need the wide band A/F sensor. I'm torn on whether to get it through the dealer or through AutoZone. I have called O'reilly's and they refuse to believe me that there are two different sensors for that particular car because it doesn't show up in their "system." The dealer didn't believe me either until I gave him the VIN on the car. I'm afraid if I get the sensor from AutoZone or any other parts store and the code doesn't go away, I will be unable to return it because it's an electrical item. Then I will have to purchase from the dealer anyway and will have wasted that money. Are the Denso sensors from AZ reliable?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Suggest checking the heater circuit for a fault before purchasing a replacement. If heater circuit of the sensor shows short or open, then you can purchase w/ confidence. Otherwise you have some risk that fault may lie outside of the sensor (wiring harness or ECU).

Check Honda parts online (majestic, Bill Kay, et al) and ebay for best deal on AF sensor.

good luck