General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 questions: 1 Temperature, 2 Gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2 questions: 1 Temperature, 2 Gas smell

Hey guys + gals

I have a honda accord 93 LX 4 door at about 163k miles...

My car temperature gauge tends to fluctuate frequently while driving for the past two months. Sometimes, its running slight cooler than normal operating temperature and sometimes its running slightly higher than normal (both usually occur when I'm on the freeway). There was one time (1 month ago) it actually started getting real hot on idle, but I simply turned on the heater and it returned to normal. That never happened again. Also tonight, I noticed some 'gas' or some sort of fumes were venting out of the front of my car, but it was very difficult to see them. I only noticed it because a truck's brake lights were shining in and I saw the shadow of the fumes. The car was slightly hotter than normal at that time.

The last time I changed my thermostat was 2 years ago amd when i squeeze the radiator hose, I can hear the thermostat clicking. The last time I refilled my coolant (Peak 50/50 - same one I've been using for years) was 1 week ago. Last oil change was also 1 Week ago.
Any ideas?

Also my car has gas smell. Its strong towards the exhaust, not too much at the front. The last time I cleaned my throttle due to rough idle was 1 week ago. I dont know if that will have an affect. What should I do?

Thanks =)

Last edited by HondaAccord93; 01-17-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

replace the thermostat and change the coolant - flush the radiator while you're at it.

i would check your fuel line for leaks. given the age, fuel lines can indeed corrode, starting to leak. also, check the seal around the fuel pump and the top of the gas tank in general.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Over heating on the freeway is usually the radiator core is bad. I would inspect the cooling fins on the outside toward the bottom. If they are gooey, missing and falling apart it is time for a new radiator. The fumes are something leaking on the hot engine most likely coolant but is could be PS or oil, I would pressure check the cooling system. The gas smell, does it leave any signs where you park your car.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

2-year-old thermostat? Should last longer than that. Is it Honda or some store-brand?

For the gas smell; check the fuel lines underneath the left-side of the car's floorpan for corrosion. I had that on a '95 Integra. The fuel lines were becoming porous, it was almost like the fuel was oozing out of the steel lines, it wasn't a distinct point of leakage.

I think there's also access plates under the back seat or maybe way forward on the trunk floor (under the carpeting). Round cover with 3 or 4 bolts will open up to view the actual fuel tank. One for the fuel gauge sender, probably another for the fuel pump. Look for rotted gaskets allowing gasoline smell to get out.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the extremely delayed response, my internet was down due to a bad modem and finally is fixed.

So far, I flushed the radiator and refilled the coolant. Didn't change the thermostat yet. THe temperature is still fluctuating (but stabilizes as mentioned above). I bought the thermostat from a honda dealer.

As for the smoke i saw, I found that it was the PS leaking and motor oil leaking (at timing belt). oil was also leaking into the spark plug compartments so I changed the engine cover gasket with the spark plug seals. After I changed that, I dont smell much gas either,so perhaps gas wasn't being burned completely due to oil in the spark plugs? (not sure)

NOw I got new problems. I hear a 2 distinct sounds coming from the front of the car. First one is only heard when I'm accelerating or slowing down in the 30-40mph range. Any speed outside that range, i dont hear it. It has a vibrating/click noise coming from behind the steering wheel. Almost like coins hitting against each other (and i removed all the coins in the coin compartment to the left of the steering wheel, and still it makes noise).

Another sound is in the 50mph to 80mph range. I hear a helicopter sound from front of the car. I'm wondering if it can be a timing belt issue (last change 25000). Oil is leaking from the timing belt seal, or is it internal engine damage from low oil? My neighbor, told me to rotate tires and see if the sound is from my front tires. Its been 3 days since i heard all of these noises. Any ideas?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Check the external drive belts on the engine. That clinking or ringing sound might be something coming loose. Maybe even the pulley of the PS pump?? How about a tensioner idler pulley with a loose bearing?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks ill check it out and get back to ya Sunday. Raining here in la

Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey jimblake,

The mechanic checked the PS pump pulley and tenisoner pulley and they were secure. He then jacked both my front wheels up and saw that my wheels were not running straight. He said that it likely (be isn't too sure) that the bearings where the axles enter are damaged and causing the helicopter noise while driving.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Rule out bent wheels? Rule out damaged belts on tires?
Then get the wheel bearings fixed & continue narrowing down on the other klinking noise. Just gotta knock these things down one at a time as you figure them out.