General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 things

Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Default 2 things

I have a couple new issues with my 92 Accord. One is random over heating. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. The over heating happens when the engine is under load, accelerating or going up hill. The coolant is fine and the fans are working. Is this possibly a thermostat issue? My second issue is the power steering pump. I think it's going bad. The pump is making a constant whining sound that changes with the speed of the engine but doesn't change when I turn the steering wheel. The fluid is full but is of course old. Would changing the fluid help maybe? Will a failing or failed pump damage anything else in the system? Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Default RE: 2 things

a constant whinning noise that doesn't change when turning the steering wheel sounds more like an alternator starting to go bad, or some other accessory going bad. usually a bad ps pump will whine and change pitch when turning the steering wheel.

the overheating needs to be addressed. there are two switchesthat turn on the fans. one(on the thermostat housing) turns the fans on at a lower temperature. the other is on the upper radiator spout on the head. when the fans are running disconnect this switch. do the fans shut off? if so, disconnect the switch on the thermostat housing. jump the two terminals in the connector. do the fans come on? if so, replace that switch and confirm it's ok.
if the thermostat is stuck closed it will overheat as well, but i'd think it would be more consistant than when only under load.