General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to do before car storage

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
akcard
Unregistered
Default Things to do before car storage

Hi again!

I have a few questions about prolonged (8 month) car storage. I can't afford my insurance during school so I'm gonna throw my car in my garage and wasn't sure what I might overlook, I've read a few things on the net and so far the things I'm doing before I put it in storage are:

Wash and Wax
Change oil
Drierite in car to absorb moisture
Fill gas tank and add fuel stabilizer

I've read some stuff about jacking up the car and putting it on jack stands to remove pressure from the tires but wasn't sure if the jack points were ment to hold a car up for 8 months.
I've also read mixed reviews about throwing a tarp over the car, some people say a good wax job will be sufficient and a tarp isn't necessary while others insist on it.

Is there anything else I might be missing?
Thanks!

Old 08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Default RE: Things to do before car storage

Once the stabilizer is in the fuel make sure the car is run for at least 15 minutes to spread it throughout the entire fuel system.

I wouldn't have a problem with jackstands over the term provided they are in the correct spots.

A tarp is very rough on the finish, just taking it on and off can damage the paint. A car cover is a better idea.

A maintenance type battery charger that keeps the voltage up to the correct level and shuts off makes sense. It will maintain the battery without too much or too little charge. It's a common item in Marine/Boat stores and isn't expensive.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on what your garage looks like, I'd worry about mice & other creatures. They can get inside anything & they LOVE to chew up air filters. Put something over the air intake & over the exhaust pipe. But DON'T FORGET to take it off when you try to start the car. Or offer to keep someone's cat??

Old 09-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

put the car up on cement blocks,, also, if i were you i would start the car from time to time and let it run till fans kick on,,

Old 09-02-2006, 03:43 AM
akcard
Unregistered

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm gonna try my best to do all that was suggested.

Will not putting my car up do any real harm to my car? I've just realized it will be virtually impossible to actually jack up my car because I'll be parking so close to the wall in order for my fathers car to also be able to fit into the garage.

Didn't think about the idling for 15 minutes after adding stabilizer to cycle it through the system, thanks for that tip!

Old 09-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

You'll want a nearly full gas tank because of condensation in the air-space above the gasoline. Just add the stabilizer at the gas station & then drive home.

If you don't jack it up, then pump up your tires right up to the max pressure on the sidewall. At the car's recommended pressure, the tires might (maybe) develop a little flat spot at the point that's on the ground. Pumping them up real hard will minimize this. Some types/sizes of tires are more prone to this problem than others...

I think I wouldn't start the engine at all. Maybe every couple months, take out the spark plugs, disable the injection, & crank the starter. This circulates the oil but doesn't create any exhaust products, which can get corrosive when they sit in the engine for awhile.