General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Car in storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:28 AM
keyid
Unregistered
Default Advice: Car in storage

Hi, I got a 2004 v4 Accord black coupe in storage for about 1.5 years.
I did not plan on leaving it for so long but due unfortunate circumstances....
I am going to see my beauty in a couple of weeks and would like to get your thoughts on what I should do before starting the engine.

This is what Im planning to do:
1. Check the hood, pretend I know whats ok
2. Add some extra oil and jiggle the car side to side make sure its moving
3. Add fresh gas to mix with old stale one, im sure there are some in there, prob some more jiggling
4. Jump the battery cause its still hooked, and replace it if it doesnt start
5. Get my tags updated
6. Full check up at the dealer.

Sounds ok? Anything else?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Advice: Car in storage

In-line 4-cylinder engine. It's not a V-4

I guess I'd take out the spark plugs. Squirt some oil into each cylinder & let that soak a little while. Turn the engine over by hand to make sure the pistons aren't stuck. Then crank the starter with the sparkplugs removed (circulate the oil).

Check the water level in the battery before you just jump it. Add distilled if necessary. Charge it with a charger - thismight be easier on the battery instead of a sudden high-rate charge from jumper cables.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:13 AM
keyid
Unregistered

Hey Jim, wondering if you go into detail on how do you turn the engine by hand.
Does turning the belt on do it?
Should it be easy to turn? or does it take alot of force?
Also cranking the starter is putting the key in and starting the car?
Thanks again

Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

17mm(?) socket with extension - stick in thru fender liner into crankshaft pulley. Turn the engine by hand using the wrench. If you're strong, maybe you can just grab the crankshaft pully with both hands (not much room in there).

Turn the engine only forward. Since it's a 7th-gen, that's clockwise as you look at the engine from the right-front fender. (Don't be confused by older Accords where the engine is on the oppisite side of the car.)

Once you verify the pistons aren't stuck, crank the starter...
Spark plugs are removed. Remove the fuelpump fuse or something, to disable the fuel injection.
Turn the key like you're starting the engine, hold the key & let the engine spin for 10 or 20 seconds.
This circulates the oil since it's been sitting a long time. Actually starting the engine puts much more load on the bearings, and this way you circulate the oil all over the engine first (at 200rpm), before actually starting it.
Now you can put the sparkplugs back, fuelpump fuse, etc... And actually start it up.

The background information...
All this BS is because the cylinder walls normally have a thin film of oil. Park the car for a year and that film of oil dries up. Maybe the cylinder walls have a thin layer of rust? You would produce some extreme wear on thepiston ringsin the first 3 seconds after you start the engine. You want to restore this layer of oil BEFORE you actually start it.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

When did Honda switch the direction of rotation on the crankshaft? 5th gens turn counter clockwise.

The bolt on the crank might be a 19mm.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Direction of rotation changed with the K-series engines. Also with the V-6 engines.

Actually, ALL the engines turn in the same direction as the front wheels do when you drive forward. Think of it like this...

B- D- F- H- series engines are in the left side of the engine bay. The front pulley is close to the left-front wheel. Stand alongside the left-side fender & look at the wheel. It turns counterclockwise.

K-series and V-6 engines are located in the right side of the engine bay. The front pulley is close to the right-front wheel. Stand alongside the right-side fender & look at the wheel. It turns clockwise.

ps... Look at a 5th-gen V-6. It lives in the opposite side of the engine bay vs. the same-year 4-cyl.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 PM

I'd take a new battery with me when you go to restart it. If your old one has been connected all this time, it's dead, and beyond hope of rescue. If you want to oil the cylinder bores before turning it over, a spray can of marine fogging oil might do the trick. It will be easy to put the spray wand in the plug holes to get oil on the cylinder walls. Just don't let the plastic spray wand fall out!

I don't think18 month oldgas will be good at all. It might be a really good idea to get a garage to pump it out for you and refill the tank with fresh before starting it. If your Accord has a drain plug, every bit of fuel can be drained. If the tank was only partially full,beware ofcorrosion issues. Was this car stored in a garage or inside in any way?

Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 AM
keyid
Unregistered

I was affraid of the gas might be stale. The car was stored in closed garage.
Im not sure if the car has a drain plug, will have to ask around.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I stored my car for just shy of a year, and it started up like a champ when I picked it up. The battery was left disconnected while it was in storage (outdoor lot).

Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, 1st add some gasline antifreeze to the gas tank to suck out the water that has accumulated as condensation as the tank 'breathed' due to thermal expansion & contraction. The gas should be ok, not great but it will start. Run high octane and injector cleaner with your first full tank refill. Be sure to post what happens.