General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord 2.3l Vtec won't rev past 2k.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Default 2000 Accord 2.3l Vtec won't rev past 2k.

This is a 2000 Accord SE, with 4cyl vtec, automatic trans.

Also the same car I just rebuilt the transmission. The engine would rev past 2k before I pulled everything, the trans was shot so the car wouldn't go far without the trans slipping.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the bugs worked out for a test drive, but the engine won't rev past 2k, warmed up, cold etc. Even tried it in park just to make sure it wasn't the trans bogging it down.

Even trying to rev slowly the engine just won't go past 2k unless it surges just a bit past. Any kinda of light load kills the engine if you try to give too much throttle.

If I try to quick rev the engine just dies.

I did a code scan, and found nothing. Engine idles pretty smooth, the timing belt was checked, and everything was aligned like it was supposed to be.

Now while I had the engine/trans out, I did pull the throttle body, to clean it. While out the tb did get wet in the rain while I was getting everything back together so ????? [I also put a new tb gasket on while the tb was off, and just a spot of silicon just to be safe]

I've checked, and re-checked all of the vacuum connections, as well as the electrical conns, and everything looks good there. I haven't yet started checking the fuses though.

Last edited by M-train; 02-24-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

There's 2 wiring connectors that can be physically interchanged (causing problems). Not sure but I think it's the TPS & MAP sensors? Somewhere around the throttle body somewhere.

I bet Poorman or someone will chime in who actually remembers which 2 plugs can swap.

There's a few ground wires that have to be tightened on the intake manifold. Forget anything like that?

Get a check-engine light? If so read the error-codes.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's 2 wiring connectors that can be physically interchanged (causing problems). Not sure but I think it's the TPS & MAP sensors? Somewhere around the throttle body somewhere.

I bet Poorman or someone will chime in who actually remembers which 2 plugs can swap.

There's a few ground wires that have to be tightened on the intake manifold. Forget anything like that?

Get a check-engine light? If so read the error-codes.
There are two, or three conns on the tb. The blue conn is on the top of my setup, there is the tp sensor on the side facing the firewall, and another behind it on the intake manifold.

EDIT: Looks like you were right Jim!
I just did a net search on the throttle body connections, and the BLUE conn is connected to the firewall side, NOT THE TOP.

Honda engineers need to have their butts kicked for making electrical conns that will connect to the wrong connections [as in interchange to the wrong sensor connection].

I know there are some transmission solenoids conns that will interchange as well [happened on the same car as I was reinstalling the trans after rear engine seal, and front pump seal replacement. Took a few days to figure out the dang wires were connected backward to the solenoids.

Thanks again Jim

Last edited by M-train; 02-24-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it going.......I can't even count how many times this has happened to someone, so don't feel bad.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Glad you got it going.......I can't even count how many times this has happened to someone, so don't feel bad.
Thanks. Its one of those things that will make you start chasing ghost, and taking up hours, and hours of time.

I've been wrenching on cars for over 40 years, and so far I can't think of another car manufacturer who does this with wiring connections besides Honda.

Usually an electrical connection is made to fit ONE connector, and won't fit anything else.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Well we all have our "issues"

Just be glad the 6th gens (98-02) at least used a different color on the plastic connector. On the 5th gens (94-97) the connectors were the same color

Again, at the end of the day you got it going