General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help! P0-341 Code Camshaft Postion Sensor A Bank 1-2003 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Question Need Help! P0-341 Code Camshaft Postion Sensor A Bank 1-2003 Honda Accord

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am well read with many answers people have posted about the P0-341 check engine problem I am having ( Camshaft Position Sensor ) on the 2003 Honda Accord EX 2.4 Liter 4 Cyl. From reading all of the posts, people tend to think this is a streched timing chain and not the sensor itself. Please Help!! I am due for a car inspection and just want it to pass, I have 181600 miles on my car and don't want to rush into buying another one or doing and expensive chain job just to get my old Honda to pass! My car runs fine, starts fine, sounds fine and gets an average of 24 mpg. although it burns oil more than a new one, but that's to be expected right?

I did some troubleshooting on my own car since I am a quite electically inclined but not as automotive-mechanically inclined so to speak (and a bit crazy).

Here's what I did, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

1) I went to Autozone and actually took measurements with my multimeter of the SU-6681 or 37510-RAA-A01 intake sensor AND the SU-6147 or 37510-PNB-003 Exhaust Sensor. Here are the measurements:

INTAKE sensor (3 leads)--> 1-2: 628ohms; 2-3: 14.08Kohms; 1-3 1.84 MegOhms

EXHAUST sensor (3 leads)--> 1-2: 574ohms; 2-3: 462ohms; 1-3: 1.79Kohms

I didn't buy them because I wanted to see if mine were bad

2) I compared these values to the values of my own Honda Camshaft Sensors. Here are my measurements:

INTAKE sensor (3 leads)--> 1-2 (black on 1): 2.6 MegOhms; 1-2 (red on 1): 3.89 MegOhms ;;; 2-3 (black on 2): infinity ; 2-3 (red on 2): 3.06 MegOhms ;;; 1-3 (black on 1): infinity ; 1-3 (red on 1): 9.77 MegOhms

EXHAUST sensor (3 leads)--> 1-2 (black on 1): 2.96 MegOhms; 1-2 (red on 1): 4.29 MegOhms ;;; 2-3 (black on 2): infinity ; 2-3 (red on 2): 3.39 MegOhms ;;; 1-3 (black on 1): infinity ; 1-3 (red on 1): 11.28 MegOhms

3) As you can see the measurements of my own sensors are similar to one another but no where near similar to the measurements of the new SU-6681 and SU-6147 Autozone models. Could both my sensors be faulty??

4) I also measured the voltage of the output of the harness and that was 4.98 Volts... which indicates that it is putting the necessary 5 volts to the sensors (imagine for some kind of square waveform)

What could this be? still the timing chain?
what gets me is, why would this not pass emmisions testing when there are trucks out there that get 15 mpg and pass, but I get 24 mpg and dont??!!!

Any advice on what this could be would be much appreciated!

*** forgot to add, I also removed my sensors and cleaned them and put them back, cleared the error code and it came back on in 5 seconds.***

Thanks
Snoopy4369

Last edited by snoopy4369; 04-06-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: ***added information ***
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Just me but the 0341 is for the "phase" and not the sensors......meaning they are sending the signals as they should....sensors working....just the reading between the two is out of sync/phase with what it should be.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help! P0-341 Code Camshaft Postion Sensor A Bank 1-2003 Honda Accord-7th-gen-4-cyl-p0341.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree w/ PM. I read the diagnostics for this fault and only possibilities are 1) faulty VTC oil control solenoid valve (hydraulic fault since e-fault would set a separate code) or stretched timing chain.

There is a rather lengthy procedure to access the timing chain tensioner. If tension is extended beyond 0.53 inches, the chain is too long. Access requires removing timing chain cover, etc.

Sometimes no easy fix.

good luck

Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to update my thread. I just had the car fixed so that the check engine light (P0341 code) would go out and I would pass inspection. I only needed to replace the Timing Chain and the Tensioner. The Chain had skipped a tooth, was stretched and the tensioner was at it's fully extent. The job cost me 650 dollars in part and labor, that's a good deal I think. The reason for this happening is because I may of driven a bit with the oil light blinking, as my car burns oil since it's so old (186000 miles). Car runs a bit better now. I plan on selling my 2003 Honda Accord EX within the next two years, plan on getting the 2013 Accord.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Thank You for the information, it should help many a member.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Just a quick note to this older thread. I recently purchased a 2003 accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl with 200K miles. It had the P0341 code set when I bought it, but thanks to this forum I realized that it was likely the timing chain and not the sensor. Sure enough, it had slipped one tooth on the intake cam. I couldn't believe how lose the chain actually was and why it hadn't slipped more teeth is beyond me. Anyway, after talking to the local Honda mechanic I opted to just replace the chain and tensioner, as the guides and gears were still in very good condition. I would say to anyone who is moderately handy, don't be afraid of doing this project, it was quite easy, much easier, I think, than doing the belt on the V-6. Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this forum, the information is invaluable.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 AM

I'm glad that this forum helped! I still have my Honda, and the problem hasn't come back. I'm on 217,000 miles now!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by snoopy4369
Hi,

I just wanted to update my thread. I just had the car fixed so that the check engine light (P0341 code) would go out and I would pass inspection. I only needed to replace the Timing Chain and the Tensioner. The Chain had skipped a tooth, was stretched and the tensioner was at it's fully extent. The job cost me 650 dollars in part and labor, that's a good deal I think. The reason for this happening is because I may of driven a bit with the oil light blinking, as my car burns oil since it's so old (186000 miles). Car runs a bit better now. I plan on selling my 2003 Honda Accord EX within the next two years, plan on getting the 2013 Accord.
Where did you done timing chain replacement? Is that Honda dealer or some local auto shop. Honda Dealer is asking $1500 to replace these parts.
1. ARM, CAM CHAIN Tesnioner
2. Chain (176L) (DAIDO)
3. GUIDE, CAM CHAIN
4. Tensioner ASSY, CAM CHAIN
5. Actuator ASSY VTC (46T)

Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM

I went to " www.protechservice.com " It was the only option that I had at the time because my car wouldn't pass inspection due to that error code and it being an emmissions problem. In the State of Rhode Island if your car doesn't pass inspection and you made an "effort" to fix the problem, and have spend 650 dollars from an autoshop specially state certified to fix these complicated problems... and the problem still isn't fixed, they will waive the restriction for another two years and give you a pass. This place was on the state list So I went there. I made sure they only did what was necessary to fix the issue and make the light go out and I told them I did not want to spend more than 650 dollars. That entailed replacing the chain and replacing the tensioner... and that's it. They said they "could have replaced the guides" but they were in okay shape... they didn't touch the Actuator ASSY VTC... these things would have brought the cost above 650 dollars and I wasnt going to spend that on my old car.

My advice is to only get the chain replaced and any other thing that really needs to be replaced. Dont waste money replacing things that don't need to be replaced. Go into the shop knowing with that type of information and be clear to them and you could save money too.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by snoopy4369
I went to " www.protechservice.com " It was the only option that I had at the time because my car wouldn't pass inspection due to that error code and it being an emmissions problem. In the State of Rhode Island if your car doesn't pass inspection and you made an "effort" to fix the problem, and have spend 650 dollars from an autoshop specially state certified to fix these complicated problems... and the problem still isn't fixed, they will waive the restriction for another two years and give you a pass. This place was on the state list So I went there. I made sure they only did what was necessary to fix the issue and make the light go out and I told them I did not want to spend more than 650 dollars. That entailed replacing the chain and replacing the tensioner... and that's it. They said they "could have replaced the guides" but they were in okay shape... they didn't touch the Actuator ASSY VTC... these things would have brought the cost above 650 dollars and I wasnt going to spend that on my old car.

My advice is to only get the chain replaced and any other thing that really needs to be replaced. Dont waste money replacing things that don't need to be replaced. Go into the shop knowing with that type of information and be clear to them and you could save money too.
Honda Accord 04, 2.4 vtech, 4 Cylnder. One year back when check engine light came then one of Mufler shop(in MI) guy replaced O2 sensor and Cam sensor and he gave old one as he menitioned that. But when I came to NY and Inspection was not passed because check engine light on. After diagonestic, I came to know that Guy did not replaced any sensor just he put black tape to cover check engine light on. I was keep driving in check engine light on and my car is running in good condition without any problem. Total mile on car is 137000.I have chaged O2 sesnor Bank 1 sensor#2 and Cam sensor Bank 1 but still getting code P0341as soon as I start engine. After driving 100 miles its still shoing P0341 code and Oxygen monitor, catalyst Monitor and EGR monitor are incomplete. The copde P0341 is showing as CAM Position Sensor A ckt RNG/Perform BNK1.
Is there any warranty after repair you got? I think this is local shop in your area. With my prvious experience I have lost hope in local shop. If there will be warranty in local shop then I can go for repair.

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Need Help! P0-341 Code Camshaft Postion Sensor A Bank 1-2003 Honda Accord