General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Default 2000 Accord doesn't start

I left my interior light on so my battery drained and wouldn't start. Jump starting the car worked and I drove it around for 30 mins and the next day, it wouldn't start again. I replaced the battery just now with a new one and now the car doesn't start. The battery is working since the radio turns on and you can hear it try to start when I'm turning the key.

Is this an issue with the starter? I replaced the started about 1-2 years ago.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the terminology I use for starting a car. I turn the key to start the car. The starter spins the engine. When the engine fires up is when I release the key.

So, is the starter spinning the engine normally, or is the engine not firing up?

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM

The starter is spinning normally but the engine is not firing up.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Your starter is working properly.

The reason for your no start is due to lack of fuel, spark, or compression. You will have to narrow down the problem.

Are the maintenance items up to date like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs?

A quick check for fuel is to turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light does the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It sounds like a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc. and listen carefully.

Do you have a volt meter or a timing light?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Your starter is working properly.

The reason for your no start is due to lack of fuel, spark, or compression. You will have to narrow down the problem.

Are the maintenance items up to date like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs?

A quick check for fuel is to turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light does the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It sounds like a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc. and listen carefully.

Do you have a volt meter or a timing light?
I haven't done maintenance on it for a long time. Fuel is definitely not the issue but it can be the other things you mentioned. I don't have a volt meter or timing light. Is this something that AAA can help with or do I need to tow it to a mechanic?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

So you can hear the fuel pump turn on?

Replacing the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor are not very difficult, IMO.

How many miles are on your car? How many miles are on the spark plugs, cap, and rotor?

Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
So you can hear the fuel pump turn on?

Replacing the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor are not very difficult, IMO.

How many miles are on your car? How many miles are on the spark plugs, cap, and rotor?
I will have to listen for the fuel pump and get back to you. I have about 110K miles. I don't remember ever changing the spark plugs, cap and rotor so I have no clue!

Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

The OEM spark plugs should be changed every 90K miles. Get the NGK plugs that are recommended for your car. That information will either be in the owner's manual or on a sticker either under the hood or in the driver's doorjamb. Most auto parts stores will carry them.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 AM

so I finally had the chance to check out my car just now and it starts up. I drove it around for about 3 mins and had no issues. I guess the new battery needed some time to settle in?