General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord EX 4cyl Humming Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Default 2000 Accord EX 4cyl Humming Noise

Hey all,

Trying to diagnose a noise in my 2000 Accord EX 2.3L 4cyl. There is a kind of humming/thumping noise coming from the front of the car. Its been goin on for about 2 weeks. It sounds almost like a vibration and I think I can feel it very slightly though the floor. I brought it to the shop last weekend and they said my axle boot was worn and cracked and that might have been causing the sound so replaced that but its still there. Usually starts around 20 mph and loudest at 50, kinda quiets down around 70. The sound also gets louder when braking at high speeds. They said I'm also going to need my right front bearing replaced soon so it may be that. I had my right rear bearing replaced last year but thought that sounded a little different, higher pitched and no thumping noise but don't remember perfectly. A friend also said the cracked boot can lose grease and cause more wear on the bearing. Please let me know any ideas or any other information that can help determine what is wrong. Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A worn cv axle from cracked boot can cuase vibration under acceleration and at speed.

Vibration would not normaally be affected by braking so perhaps something do do w/ brakes; binding caliper pins or caliper. A wheel bearing might respond w/ noise to braking but this would be unusual.

Any chance a tire problem; out-of-round or out of balance tire, or bent wheel could be causing this vibration.

good luck

Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Replaced the boot 2 days ago but same sound still is happening. I did also have new brakes and rotors put in about a month ago. Still heard the sound before that but did get louder since then.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by johntaps
Once that boot ripped and grease was lost, the CV joint started to wear. Replacing the boot and packing it with grease will help prevent further damage, but some damage has already been done.
I would recommend replacing the appropriate Axle shaft
OP- I do not agree with this. If the boot and grease were replaced in time there is no need to replace the cv shaft. Depending on where you live, even with a busted boot the cv shaft can last a long time before needing to be replaced.

I won't put everyone to sleep with the data I have and know about cv boot replacement vs. cv shaft replacement but again, just because the boot is busted does not mean the shaft needs to be replaced.

Now, back on topic. If the noise is such that you describe and a shop has already told you there is an issue with the front bearing....that is the place I would worry about first. Can you tell us this, is there a vibration or noise when going straight? I read your post as a noise which leads me to a tire or bearing issue, a vibration would then bring the shaft into play but only if it was WAY WORN out. I let my youngests cv's go for over a year with the clicking when turning for a year.....it finally turned into clicking when going straight so I then replace the shaft.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a loud noise in my 2000 Honda Accord 2 door V6. I thought it was the front making the roar. I jacked up each wheel and found it was the Left rear wheel bearing. I spun each wheel by hand and heard it. No where near as load as diving it. But sure enough it was coming from the rear. From what I read it seem to be a know problem. At first I thought it was tire noise. If you are going about 30-40 MPH around a slight turn and the noise stops. and then when going staight it gets louder...It is probably a rear wheel bearing.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

HondaRide nailed it. Wheel bearing noise can be elusive; it can travel though the structure of the body and sound like it's coming from one corner when in fact it's from another corner.

Checking the front bearings is easy: put the front up on stands, handbrake on, and have a helper put it in gear. CAREFULLY put a long screwdriver or some such on a non-moving part of the hub assembly, right below the axle shaft, and listen. A bad bearing will be obvious. Rears per HondaRide's method.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

I've had a bad wheelbearing that sounded the same whether I was turning or going straight. So if the sound doesn't change, it still MIGHT be the wheelbearing.