General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord lx throttle body help/idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
kissbally78
Unregistered
Default 2000 accord lx throttle body help/idle problems

hi everyone, im having another issue with my car and could use some help please. the throttle position senser went bad on my 00 accord lx v6. i ordered a brand new honda throttle body with the idle air and the tps already on it, came right from honda, so i install the throttle body and start the car and now the car shakes and feels like the idle is too low, at night the idle is so low when you give the car gas the lights get bright then when the idle drops the lights get really dull, this all started after i installed the new throttle body and the throttle body is on correct theres no leaks or anything, i had the battery checked and the alternator checked everything is fine there, any help would be great thanks in advance Peter NJ

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 2000 accord lx throttle body help/idle problems

I'm not familiar w/ V6, but on 4-cylinders, the idle must be adjusted, and since you have a new throttle body this may be the problem. On 4-cylinder the idle air control valve is disabled, and base idle adjusted by opening/closing bleed air bypass screw to about 700 rpm. Your's will likely be different, but procedure is probably similar.

Suggest checking autozone's online manualfor specs on your car.

good luck

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
kissbally78
Unregistered

were would the adjustable screw be located? i cant really find much on the autozone manual. thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Open thread called Online Manuals in the DIY section. You can download a CD image of a 6th gen accord (98-02) shop manual. Burn the .iso file to a CD and that should give you the info on how to adjust the idle. I'm sure a Haynes manual will have this type of information in it.

Does your check engine light come now that you replaced the throttle body? If it does, then stop by an autozone and have them read your codes. Post any codes on here (ie. P####).

I always found that I need to reset my ECU when I do throttle body work. On a 95 accord, you pull the radio/backup fuse for a minute. You might be able to do that on your car as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
kissbally78
Unregistered

pa honda in response to your question, there are no engine codes, i just replaced the whole throttle body and thats when everything started happening, i couldnt find any info on how to properly reset the ecu or download the diy manual figures (newbie). thanks. any help would greatly be appriciated. Peter

Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: kissbally78

were would the adjustable screw be located? i cant really find much on the autozone manual. thanks
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/pos...amp;toStyle=tm

Above page and picture looks very similar to 4-cylinder throttle body. The air bypass screw should be near the entrance to the throttle body. It may be covered w/ a plastic cover or guard. Hopefully, you can download the manual and find the details.

good luck