General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM
2000ha
Unregistered
Default 2000 accord not starting

I have a 2000 Honda Accord V6. Today I drove to the store (it is relatively cooler than yesterday 65 degrees outside.) After shopping for about an hour I went to start the car and it would not crank. The radio still worked but tried to jump the battery. Still nothing. Pulled the battery and was told at the auto parts store it was bad. Bought a new battery and installed. Car will still not start. Upon turning the key to start it sounds like the fuel pump is pumping and there are some click/clicking noises coming from the under the dash area. The starter is not making any clicking noises nor trying to spin in any way. Any ideas starter problem, alternator, etc? Like I said it has a brand new battery but still nothing. Been reading in all the other posts and they have been very helpful and have had similar but not the same problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Check the two electrical connections at the starter. Make sure that they are not corroded and are tightened properly.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try the caveman test on the starter. Have someone hold the key in the start position. Hit the starter with the handle of a screwdriver on the end near the electrical connections. If it starts up, then that verifies a problem with the starter. Most likely the solenoid/contacts.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
2000ha
Unregistered

Got it fixed. Checked the wires and everything out of the battery to the starter had power. Beat on the starter and solenoid but still the engine would not crank. Pulled the starter (solenoid and all come out as one unit) and brought it to the auto parts store where they ran it on a machine and starter motor had gone bad. It did not have near enough power to spin the starter. Got a whole new starter for $130. Installed the new unit and the car started up first turn with no hesitation. Thanks for the help.