General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Security Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Default 2000 Accord Security Issue

Wassup? I'm new to the forum and I could use some help. First things first, I'm a Camry guy. I don't know much about Hondas but my sister drives one and she needs help. The vehicle in question is a 2000 Accord special edition, 4cyl with AT. Power everything. No sun/moon roof.

She was in an accident recently. It was a side-impact to the front-right corner (mild, mostly cosmetic) with a mild rear ending that broke one of the tail lights. I don't know if either of these have anything to do with the security system but, you never know with these newer electrical systems.

What caused the immediate issue though, was me. She asked me to help carry some stuff out to her car, windows down, doors locked. I reached inside the window without thinking, pulled up the lock plunger and HONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONK!

The keyfob/wireless remote is broken so we can't just turn it off. She puts the key in the ignition and cranks the car, HONK continues. Drives around the block, Alarm stops. Pulls back into driveway, Parks with motor still on, HONKHONKHONK resumes. Drives over to a mechanic friend's house, he disconnects the security system under the hood so the alarm stops.

Now, the shift lever is stuck in P unless she puts the key into the hole by the shift lever, puts it in Neutral and then puts the key in the ignition to crank the motor. Further, The speedometer and tachometer both now read zero while driving. They were working before. Fuel gauge seems to still be working. At least it's not making that awful racket anymore.

So, any advice on how to get this sorted out?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

The security system is probably integrated with those two items. What you should do is find out how to reset the security system. What this a Honda security system installed? Does she have the owners manual for the security system?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM

It is the factory installed security system. To my knowledge, it (security system) has recieved no modification or maintanence since the car was built.

I believe she has the standard glovebox manual. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I also have a Haynes manual for it.

The security system is probably integrated with those two items
Which two items?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

The shift lock and the speedometer/tach could be tied into the security system.

The security system control unit may have a reset button. Take a look at handa-accessories.com (it is spelled correct). You can look at the installation manual to see where the control unit for the security system is located and how it was installed.

Maybe you can fix the remote or get a new/used one on ebay.

Dealing with security systems can be a pain, as you are finding out.