General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Auto Shifter/Mirror Question.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Default 2000 Auto Shifter/Mirror Question.

Hi, it's been awhile. Two quick questions. This morning, my daughter's 2000 4 cyl with auto would not come out of park. I found a little plastic tab under the trim around the shifter that when pushed down, allowed me to override the shifter lock and get the car into gear. Does anyone know why the shifter release locked up?

Secondly, the mirror glass on the outside of the passenger door is cracked. Can I get and install just the glass, or do I need to change out the whole mirror assembly?

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

First thing to check is the brake lamps. Have her step on the brakes while you watch in back for the brake lamps to come on.

The shift interlock uses the same switch (on the brake pedal) so one common failure is that switch comes loose from its bracket (or breaks). If the brake lamps work OK that rules out the switch.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can get the mirror glass and the bracket it sits in.

Try TASAuto.com or hondapartscheap.com

Old 04-15-2009, 01:13 PM

O.K., confirmed that the brake lights are not working. Switch at pedal is in tact, but cannot determine internal condition due to lack of wiring diagram. Looked for the fuse, but found no fuse labeled "brake lights". If I can determine location of fuse, will check that first. Thanks for the replies. Anybody got any tips on location of the fuse?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the switch at the brake pedal, & use a multi-meter to measure continuity thru the switch. It should be normally-closed (continuity) when the pedal is NOT pressing the button of the switch. It should open (no continuity) when you press that button with your fingers or with the brake pedal.

You could also jumper the wiring plug with a paperclip. If THAT makes the brake lights come on, check whether it also releases the shift lever. If that works, you've just verified that the remainder of the circuit (fuses, relays) is OK.

PS... I forget whether you need to have the key "ON" when you try all of this.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
PS... I forget whether you need to have the key "ON" when you try all of this.
Shouldn't, the brake lights work all the time as long as there is a battery connected. The shift interlock switch I believe needs the key in the On/II position.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks guys. Problem is, the switch is a 4-prong deal. I guess one set of pins is for the cruise control. I don't have a wiring diagram, so I don't know which set of pins to check. Also, on my car, the switch plunger is RELEASED when the pedal is pushed (switch is located ABOVE brake pedal arm). It's depressed whenever the pedal is released. Kind of reverse of what would be expected.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jeffk14
... Also, on my car, the switch plunger is RELEASED when the pedal is pushed (switch is located ABOVE brake pedal arm). It's depressed whenever the pedal is released. Kind of reverse of what would be expected.
Yes, that's exactly how it's supposed to be. The brakelight part of the switch is normally closed, meaning the circuit is completed when the brake pedal is NOT pressing in the plunger.

I don't have my 98-02 Helm manual any more (sold that car) so I can't tell you the wire colors you're interested in.