General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda Accord problems after replacing battery and alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Default 2000 Honda Accord problems after replacing battery and alternator

I have a 2000 Honda Accord 2.3L. I shampooed the engine a few weeks ago and drove home. Lights on the dashboard did indicate that the doors were open and the battery wasn't charging but went away after several restarts. I assumed the engine was wet and needed to dry out. After about 10 hours the battery was dead. Replaced the battery but the same dashboard lights came on and after about 8 hours the new battery was completely dead. Replaced the alternator while the battery was disconnected and fully charged. The car now runs fine and all of the dashboard lights are out except the SRS light, the headlights don't come on, the power windows don't work except for the driver's side, and the security system remote-which worked fine in the past- doesn't work. Checked fuses and one power window fuse was blown and the clock. It was cold here the day I replaced the alternator so it was hard to do any other diagnosis. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Previously had a '96 Ranger and shampooed the engine every year and never had a problem, lesson learned.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

For decades now I've been strongly urging folks to refrain from washing their engines; bad things are too often the result.

As for diagnosing your fault; what do the OBD-II codes say?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:23 PM

The SRS light was likely triggered by the low voltage with the dead battery and will have to be rest using the MES connector. As far as the windows etc. I can only hope that you will get the car running and let it run in order to help dry out all the electrical connectors. I routinely lightly was all my cars including a 95 accord, 77 land cruiser, 02 Tacoma and 07 crv. I have no issues doing so, however, I spray the engine lightly with a light mix of concrete cleaner, promptly rinse and immediately run, and I mean let idle for around an hour to heat up and dry out.