General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Honda Accord Pulley wobbles

Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 AM
rajeshps
Unregistered
Default 2000 Honda Accord Pulley wobbles

I have a 2000 Honda Accord which has never given me any problems. Recently while driving the vehicle suddenly stopped and I took it to the Honda dealership. He says that my pulley system is wobbling and work has to be done with the crankshaft and the motor. This is a lot of expense to do this and a very unususal problem for a Honda car which prides on excellent quality. Please advise if this has to be done? Any other suggestions is welcome.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 2000 Honda Accord Pulley wobbles

If the main crankshaft drive pulley (harmonic balance pulley) is wobbling, it means the rubber isolation between the pulleys and inner drive core has separated. This can cause your accessories; alt, PS, AC to be underdriven or not driven at all. Pulley retaining bolt (very hard to remove) must be removed, and crankshaft drive pulley (harmonic balance pulley) replaced w/ a new unit. This must be done carefully for harmonic balance pulley to engage the crankshaft-woodruff key correctly. Finally pulley retaining bolt is installed and retorqued.

Failure to install the pulley correctly can lead to engine damage. I had this happen recently on a Acura 2.5 TL and had to have head reworked to repair damaged valves.

good luck

Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: rajeshps

He says that my pulley system is wobbling and work has to be done with the crankshaft and the motor.
what did they say exactly that is wrong ?? what did they say that needs to be done ??what did they say caused car to stop ( alternator not being charged???)
I have seen the crank pulley come apart like Texas said but it never caused engine damage ,,

let us know exactly what they said

Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 AM

if he said it needs work done on the crankshaft that means the pulley damaged the crank. i've seen a few where the keyway is warped and twisted. but usually that's from a tech not installing the pulley correctly during t-belt replacement....sound familiar?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

if he said it needs work done on the crankshaft that means the pulley damaged the crank. i've seen a few where the keyway is warped and twisted. but usually that's from a tech not installing the pulley correctly during t-belt replacement....sound familiar?
I have seen where keyway get damaged and twisted but I have only seen it happen if the bolt that holds the pulley comes loose , I have seen it in cam pulleys as well

but as for a tech not installing the crank pulley correctly, assuming the keyway is in there,( that's a long keyway ) there is no other way that the pulley will go in , the notch in the pulley has to be lined up with the keyway or pulley won't go all the way in.. Well i guess someone can just install the bolt and tighten it , but the pulley would be so far off I am ot even sure one can line up the belts properly,

Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It wouldn't be impossible for the keyway to fall out during an installation w/ the lower timing belt cover in place. This would probably have immediate consequences on restart, depending on how tightly the pulley bolt was installed.

In the case of damage I had, the pulley bolt was not fully tightened and came loose w/i an hour. Woodruff key fell out and valves were damaged.

regards

Old 12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

The key can fall out, but the keyway can't. The key is the little rectangular bar. The keyWAY is the slot in the crankshaft or the slot in the pulley.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:55 PM

hehe, you know what he meant by keyway. [8D]

all the cases i've had were improperly tightened crank pulleys which resulted in damaged keywayslots on the pulley and crank.
i had a cam end break off from a loose pulley. installed a new cam, crossed our fingers...started it up..no dice. valves were shot. only the exhaust valves(all of them!) the intake valves were all fine.

i think i would die if i forgot to put a key in and started it up. not a fun way to end the day...