General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 Accord wobbles at slow speeds, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Smile 90 Accord wobbles at slow speeds, etc.

1990 Honda Accord DX, 4 Door, 2.2L, Manual.

I notice that my Accord wobbles from left to right when driving slow. I know I need to replace the CV axles (because I hear that clicking sound when turning left or right). I bought brand new tires at Les Shwab before the first snow this year, and the man who said my car was ready said that I should think about getting an alignment.

1) Is the car wobbling because I need to get an alignment (Or because I need an alignment + CV axles/ball joints, etc)?

2) Shouldn't I replace the CV axles, ball joints, and the seal where the axle meets the transmission before getting an alignment done?

3) If the seal that goes between the inner part of axle and transmission is bad, could I lose all my transmission fluid and damage the tranny + could the tranny lock up while I am driving an cause me to possibly get in an accident?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the other help I have received in the past on this forum

Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Jack up the front of the car and put it on jackstands. Turn the steering wheel until it locks. Grab the tire at the 3/9 o'clock position and push/pull on the tire. Do the same for 12/6 o'clock positions.

There should be little movement in the tire. If there is any noise or movement, start looking for the source. If you have an assistant hold the steering wheel, then there should be no movement in the tire.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Whenever I see that method, I'm always tempted to add this...

If you can find a helper, it works better this way. Leave the drivers window down, and have someone reach in to hold the steering wheel while you check this. The steering-wheel-lock allows the wheel to steer a few degrees, and you'll feel this when you try to push/pull at the tire.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by letsclique
90 Accord wobbles at slow speeds, etc.
not to disagree with ^^^, but when I read your headline I thought ...'hhmmm, one of the front wheels could be bent.'
If rotated tires, front to back and this still happened, then this source less likely.

Since you've new tires why not take back to tire shop and observe the problem to them and see if they could make a free diagnosis.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'm betting that the OP finds a bad ball joint.....everytime I've noticed that side to side wobble at slow speeds (5~10 mph) I had a bad ball joint.....most of the time the upper.

Test/check as decribed already.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 PM

sounds like a tire issue to me........chk the tires for ply separation especially frt tires

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-wobble-3060/

Last edited by deserthonda; 05-16-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by deserthonda
sounds like a tire issue to me........chk the tires for ply separation especially frt tires

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-wobble-3060/

I agree. It sounds like tire separation. Check the tires and soon.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM

I think it is the upper ball joint(s), causing the car to wobble and the steering wheel to move from left to right. I replaced my disc brake pads, and when tire was off the ground I moved tired and could see the bar that connects to upper ball joint moving. I have never replaced any of the ball joints, and don't think any previous owner has either.

I would still like to know if it would not be worth it to have an alignment until after I have replaced the transaxles and ball joints?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:11 PM

If you look at all our different posted opinions, we're all over the map.

Again, Les Shwab Tire Store would give you a free diagnosis following issues after they put new tires on; why not take them up on it?
You can always respond - "let me think on that cost and whether it's worth it for the car."

Last edited by UhOh; 05-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Me, I'd get the cv shafts and ball joints replaced at the same time - a little labor saved.

Then worry about the alignment....you said first snow and it is May so I'm guessing it has been a few months since you got the tires.

Quick Reply: 90 Accord wobbles at slow speeds, etc.