General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord '04 V6 - Hard to keep straight, wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 PM
pandadesigns
Unregistered
Default Honda Accord '04 V6 - Hard to keep straight, wobbles

I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX V6 with about 40k miles that wobbles on the freeway -- I'll explain, but let me start by saying I have no training or experience with cars other than just driving/using my own so I apologize if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about:

I first noticed a problem a couple months ago when driving on the freeway at higher speeds. For starters, it felt like the wheel had a lot of pull to the right, but I also noticed the vehicle was hard to keep straight/fully control on the freeway. At this time, I needed new tires anyway as the treads were getting very low, so I thought maybe new tires/alignment might fix the issue, but I'd have them take a look anyway. So I got new tires, got an alignment, and was back on the road, but now the problem felt ... different.

At first, I noticed the car felt straight compared to before, but it didn't feel stable on the freeway. What I mean by this is that I no longer felt I had to pull on the steering wheel to force the car into the sort of "dead zone" in the steering wheel where it keeps the car moving straight. What I did feel, however, was what I can only describe as the worst imaginable tire squirm you can think of. It was too extreme to feel like tire squirm -- I've had new tires before, but it never felt that crazy and hard to control. I had to turn the TCS off just to keep the wheel locked into a zone where it felt like it wasn't falling into that dead zone, so I could keep the car from wobbling/losing control. I should note that at this point the car drove very smoothly at lower speeds (up to about 55mph), but I would notice significant movement from crosswinds, especially in more open areas even at these somewhat lower speeds. On the freeway, all bets were off.

So, I took the car in again (around 400+ miles into these new tires at this point), and they told me I had bent rims in the front. This is true, since I ended up buying the car off my mom and she had apparently hit a curb a while back. The problem I had with this, though, was that I hadn't so much as hit a pothole from what I could recount since I bought the car, and it had ran perfectly for about 25,000 miles after buying it. So they swapped the bent front rims with the rear ones, and it definitely helped, but it didn't fix it. The car could now maintain a straight line, with some wiggle still going on. I wrote it off as maybe just some tire squirm and figured that movement would go away fully.

However, about 1000+ miles into these tires, I still feel movement, and the movement in the steering wheel feels like there's a "dead zone" where the car drives normally at lower speeds, and with some sporadic wobbling on the freeway. In addition to this, there's another area in the steering where I notice it REALLY sends the car into a noticeable wobble (still drivable, but definitely noticeable!). I can leave the TCS on now, whereas before it felt like it brought the car into too much of a wobble, and at this point it actually feels scarier with it off than on. However, I can't keep the car in a fully straight line, and even with hair sensitive compensation on the wheel, I feel like the car will often take that compensation and overcompensate, sending the car in the other direction.

Additionally, I notice the problem is a lot more noticeable in open areas on the freeway, like when it's ONLY the median but there aren't a lot of buildings/trees on either side of the freeway, where it might be more windy. With a normal car, you probably wouldn't even notice, but I can definitely feel more wobbles here. Also, I notice on stretches of freeway with the more prominent lines on the road (can't think of a proper term, but the engraved parallel lines supposedly for weather?), the car will definitely move around more as well.

At this point, I'm able to drive about 60mph, especially on smooth roads (not on the freeway) while keeping the car feeling comfortable while still slightly off in terms of keeping it straight/steering compensation, but on the freeway at 65+ if I'm not really concentrating on keeping the car straight, I might look like a drunk.

I spoke to someone at the same place I've taken it in twice (going to see if third time is a charm tomorrow, guess I'm a masochist) and they said it sounded like possibly an issue with the rear suspension. I've noticed a lot of people online have also been recommending that they check out their control/trailing arm bushings (rear susp. right?) in threads where people have similar issues.

I've attached two photos to help with my description. The first shows from the driver's perspective while facing the steering wheel exactly where the dead/wobble zone is on the wheel, and the second shows how the car typically feels on the road thanks to how it tends to react/overcompensate when I try to correct the wandering/wobbling issues.

Thanks for any input in advance, much appreciated, and once again I apologize if I sound like a newb -- I'm good with computers, but I'm helpless when it comes to cars, and I just want to be able to drive to work without worrying :/

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord '04 V6 - Hard to keep straight, wobbles-steering_wheel.jpg   Honda Accord '04 V6 - Hard to keep straight, wobbles-road_movement.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

A worn out suspension component could be the cause of your problem.

Your shop should be able to identify a worn suspension component. If they can't, then find another reputable shop and have them inspect it.

The shop that I trust to handle my tires would grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock then try to push/pull the tire then at 12/6. The steering wheel had to be locked to hold the front tires in place. They had my car up on a lift, so it was easy for them to do this. You would need to use jack stands.

There should be very little play in the tires. Any excessive play at 9/3 was indicative of tie-rod (inner or outer). 12/6 was for the upper and lower ball joints.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
pandadesigns
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply, definitely going to have another shop take a look.

Rather suspiciously, the guy at the shop I went to said he "didn't feel anything" and when I got there to drive the car with him in it, there was hardly any movement (huge shift from the day before).