General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Angry 2000 trans issues

I have 00 accord, 4 cyl auto with 83000 on it. I have noticed some shifting issues with it a few months ago that seem to have went away ( car had a hard time from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st at low speeds ) I called the dealer and ran the vin but my extended warrenty was up and the guy told me that there was some kind of kit for it.

Today I was driving it and it was slipping real bad in first and it sounded like there was no oil in the tranny. The car didnt want to move. The d4 light was flashing. After messing around with it i managed to get it into 2nd with the shifter and it was ok until i came to a stop, and 1st was needed. I then turned off the car and restarted it and every thing is back to normal crappy shifting. The check eng light is also now on.

what is the deal with this thing, i bought this car for my wife cuz there "dependable"

Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

they're dependable unforttunatly the model you have"6th" generation 98-02 have autotradgic syndrome, the trans goes out fast in them , i believe one of the tech or cjdm98 have some better knowledge. but it sounds like it needs to be replaced.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed you couldn't have picked a worse year Honda to get.

The automatic transmissions in the 98-02(esp the V6s) are absolute garbage. You could replace it, but there is nothing to say that the new transmission would not do the same thing.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Your transmission is done for. Torque converter, and shift solenoid may be the culprit.

Call Honda of America directly,and run your VIN through them, the dealer will tell you anything to make a quick buck, in your or your wife's case $3000+ bucks.

But you do have several options:

- Drain the fluid(3x) to see if it gets any better
-Go to the Junkyard pick up a used tranny swap it in
-Go to the junkyard and get a 90-97 prelude or accord tranny(bolts right in and far more reliable)
-Have the Dealer replace the tranny, the new one they will put in will be better, as they made major improvements in them, also you will have some sort of warranty on the work.

Or..

If your like me, you would get rid of the car asap, milk whatever value for it you can. And get a car for your wife that doesn't have the worlds worst designed automatic transmission.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by cjdm98
Your transmission is done for. Torque converter, and shift solenoid may be the culprit.

Call Honda of America directly,and run your VIN through them, the dealer will tell you anything to make a quick buck, in your or your wife's case $3000+ bucks.

But you do have several options:

-Go to the Junkyard pick up a used tranny swap it in
-Go to the junkyard and get a 90-97 prelude or accord tranny(bolts right in and far more reliable)
-Have the Dealer replace the tranny, the new one they will put in will be better, as they made major improvements in them, also you will have some sort of warranty on the work.

Or..

If your like me, you would get rid of the car asap, milk whatever value for it you can. And get a car for your wife that doesn't have the worlds worst designed automatic transmission.

Good luck.
ok, i will try to drain it a few times and see what happens, dont think its gonna do me much good.
90-97 trans will bolt up and work huh? this interests me, all wiring and all that will work or is there some other major mods involved?

if there is no good will or warrenty and i got to pay out of pocket, is there a rebuild kit i can get and do it my self?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

-Go to the junkyard and get a 90-97 prelude or accord tranny(bolts right in and far more reliable)...
Are you sure?
I thought 98+ auto tranny has some different controls. Up to 1997, the tranny wants to have a cable coming from the throttle body, but starting in 1998 that function is done electronically in the tranny control computer.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

According to Brandon the 90-97 trannies wont work. If it was so Honda and everyone else would have just done this.

As far as rebuilding yours goes you could.......but it would just break again.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Are you sure?
I thought 98+ auto tranny has some different controls. Up to 1997, the tranny wants to have a cable coming from the throttle body, but starting in 1998 that function is done electronically in the tranny control computer.
Originally Posted by live2rice
According to Brandon the 90-97 trannies wont work. If it was so Honda and everyone else would have just done this.

As far as rebuilding yours goes you could.......but it would just break again.
Thats true, thought honda would be smarter than that, though they are basically the same transmission when it comes to the manual correct?

To the OP draining it wont fix the problem, but should yield you a bit more time on the tranny if you haven't.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

... though they are basically the same transmission when it comes to the manual correct?
But he doesn't have a manual tranny.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Like most autos, the torque converter doesn't drain so you can only drain 1/3 or 1/2 of the total fluid.

If you're not a Honda guy, there's a couple things for you to know...
The tranny doesn't have a pan, & you can't change a filter/screen.

Drain plug is seen from the right side of the car, a foot or more forward from the axle. It has a square hole to accept a 3/8 socket extension without a socket. Fill thru the dipstick.

Use Honda brand fluid, it'll help the tranny hang in longer than Dexron.

Check ATF level with the car completely warmed up but the engine TURNED OFF. That's unlike most other car companies.