General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 V6 fuel pulsation damper or banjo fitting leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Default 2000 V6 fuel pulsation damper or banjo fitting leak?

I gave the fuel pressure regulator swap a try for my 2000 V6 with the "Hot Soak" issue. The car ran fine for weekend errands to test it, but I noticed a faint gas smell on a few occasions and found the banjo fitting area to have a tiny leak. The 00-024 TSB for the "Hot Soak" issue doesn't indicate any O-ring or other requirement for the fitting, so I am wondering if I somehow damaged it in the re-torquing (16 ft-lb) process?

I only used one wrench to loosen/tighten -- there was a black plastic ring covering the hex head section of the assembly to which the banjo fitting connects, so I am wondering if I overstressed something (my only previous fuel line experience was on a Mazda using two wrenches for a fuel filter...).

Letting it sit overnight, it started quickly compared to when it was started on the first cycle re-pressurizing after the FPR swap. I used that as a rough gauge for how quickly it is leaking (is that a fair method?).

I'd appreciate any recommendations for how to diagnose if the banjo fitting has been damaged, if there is an O-ring requirement or if the pulsation damper got damaged? If it's the banjo fitting, any idea of a part number for that hose assembly?

It's a short commuter car for two of my sons @ college, so I need to get it back on the road soon. :-) Thanks!

-Adam in Atlanta

Old 04-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are two "washers/sealing rings" that go on each side to the fuel line ("C" in the pic). Possible that one or both are not sealing....manual says they are to be replaced

Attached Thumbnails 2000 V6 fuel pulsation damper or banjo fitting leak?-6th-gen-v6-fuel-line-00-02.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Thank you, poorman212. This is my first time working on the Accord (recently bought for college kids), so I was only working from the forum entries and need to get a service manual. I appreciate the fast reply w/the manual diagram!

Regards,
Adam

Old 04-12-2015, 01:49 PM

I forgot to add -- when I removed the pulsation damper completely, the crush ring/seal on that side didn't separate and I must have overlooked it.

Also, there was basically zero positive pressure release when I loosened the first time -- would that have contributed to what we were interpreting as the "Hot Soak" symptom? There's definitely good pressure if releasing after a short idle.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hope it works out.

Just me and don't want to sound like a broken record but the manual from "automanualsource dot com" is a pretty good one for the price...~$22 for a download or $27 for a shipped CD.......I had to go for the CD option as my internet wouldn't handle the download (large file).

Old 04-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Slow typing....I see you posted as I was typing.

The "hot soak" is a hard one to nail down. If the car had been sitting for several hours since it last ran, little to no pressure would not be normal.

I hate to just "throw parts/money" at an issue but have you replace the t-stat with one from the dealer? Some have reported that this has helped with this issue.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the .pdf manual link.

The previous owner told us that it was an occasional issue, but my sons have been frustrated by it for the 3 months we've owned it. It's at 167k. If the FPR replacement doesn't significantly improve it, I'll do the thermostat next -- thanks for the advice.