General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 accord ex passenger seat wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Default 2001 accord ex passenger seat wiring

I just bought a 2001 Accord EX leather (V4) for my son and need to have the drivers seat moved back about 4" due to his size. I found a custom shop that can do the work and I also wanted to get a spare seat to put it back into it's original condition if I ever sell the car down the road.

I was lucky enough to find the seats from a 2001 EX V6 (same color) and had to buy the entire interior. The leather on the passenger seat is better then what is in my car so I want to swap out the passenger seat.

The new seat from the V6 is a 4-way power seat and my original seat was manual.

I've read about disconnecting the battery and clearing the SRS when replacing the seats.

What I'm not sure about is what's involved with putting in a power seat where there wasn't one before.

I see this part number 81711-S87-A7, which looks like the wiring harness for the 4-way seat.

Is it just a matter of getting this harness and connecting it in ?
Does the original wiring have the mating connectors for this new harness ?

TIA

Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

On a limb here, sorry tired.

To switch from manual to power is more than a wire harness. The seats should be the same dimentions, so you just need to swap the "tracks". Now for the added 4 inches (dang the boy is tall ) the "shop" should handle the new mounts.

On a side note, be sure you talk to your auto insurance provider and the shop doing the work gives you/them (and maybe Honda) all required documents. Last thing in the world you want is to be in a situation where something goes wrong and your insurance comapny says " the cars factory restraint systems were modified" and therefore we are not going to pay any claim....again my two cents. YOU WANT to be sure all parties in this are on the same page.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM

I've checked the measurements on the existing seat rail and the "new" seats and they are identical. So as far as bolting the new seat to the floor it's the same.

Looks like there are 3 connectors under the powered passenger seat.
1) wide gray connector
2) small yellow (airbag I assume)
3) a medium gray connector.

The driver's side only has the large gray and yellow.
I haven't pulled the original passenger side seat to look and see what connectors are there yet. (I'm waiting on the radio code from the previous owner..)
I tried holding down presets 1 and 6 then turning on the radio but I didn't get the SN to show.

As far as the driver seat mod.. right now he's too close to the steering wheel. I just want to put him the same distance that a normal person would be. (Not a laydown type seat... that you see on a lot of hondas)

I found 2 types of places that will do this type of work.
1) a place that specializes in mods for handicap people. (they do this all of the time.)
2) a "good" custom fab house