General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord LX - AC clutch not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Default 2001 Accord LX - AC clutch not working

The AC clutch is not working nor is the fan coming on. I read it may be the clutch relay but dont know which relay that is in the underhood fuse box as none say AC clutch relay. What should I do?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

When the engine is running, turn on the a/c. Do both fans on the radiator turn on?

When you say the fan is not working, do you mean the ones on the radiator, or the one inside the car that blows air through the vents?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Let me clarify "fan not working" the fan on the radiators drivers side comes on and off, the fan on the passanger side does not come on at all that I can tell of and I have watch it for awhile.

The A/C Clutch never kicks in. I am getting a test light today to see if its getting power at the compressor. All the fuses and relays seem to look ok.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Is your car a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM

4 cylinder

Old 12-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Ok...Using a test light I checked for power to the a/c clutch and found none.
I hot wired the clutch just to see if it still work which it does.
I pulled the relay and checked if it had poer coming into it and it does.

My guess is that the relay is no good, just hate buying parts it not reason.

Of the two fans on the radiator, the driver side which I guess is the cooling fan works but the passenger side which I guess must be the condensor fan doesnt come on and has no power coming to it either but its relay has power coming into it though.

What is the likelihood of both relays going out at the same time?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

The fan that is front of the a/c compressor is the condenser fan (driver's side). It has a thin motor housing like a hockey puck.

Passenger side is the longer fan motor and is the radiator fan.

Really, both fans turn on to cool the radiator and for a/c, so there is really no difference.

I am in the process of transferring files to my new computer, so I will take a look at the wiring diagram to see what suggestions I can give to help.

I would suggest picking up a volt meter (~$10 at places like wal-mart) to do some more troubleshooting. You don't need anything very fancy, all you really need is to read voltage and resistance.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Ok...well then the radiator cooling fan doen't seem to ever come on, could just be I just never see it working. I have a volt meter in route that a friend is giving me so I will be waiting for your suggestions

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Also my wife mentioned that even when the a/c clutch was working it didn't seem to be blowing cold air, or atleast not as cold as it used to be. Could not having enough pressure in the system cause the a/c clutch to not work as well.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

The a/c clutch is either on or off, so slightly low pressure will not cause the a/c clutch to shut off. If there is no pressure, then the pressure switch will turn off the a/c clutch.

Lets start tackling one problem at a time. Start with the electrical stuff first.

When you turn on the a/c in the car, both fans should turn on. Since the radiator (passenger side) fan is not turning on, you need to figure out why that fan is not working. First thing to do is unplug the electrical connector to the fan. Use the volt meter to determine if the two-pin connector to the fan has 12V when the engine is running and the a/c switch is turned on.

When testing the relays, there are four wires to each relay. 2 of the wires should have 12V (key may need to be in the II position to do this test). A quick test for a relay is to swap the suspect relay with an identical one that isn't essential (like the power window relay or rear defroster, etc...).

Quick Reply: 2001 Accord LX - AC clutch not working