General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Honda Accord ECU ISSUE, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:45 PM
rhinotechie
Unregistered
Default 2001 Honda Accord ECU ISSUE, HELP!!!

Hi I have a
2001 Honda Accord Coupe,
4 Cyl,
Auto, with California emissions.

Recently I started to get the P1456 code, after it came back the second time around I checked around and found the code to be one of the following:

* Gas Cover is loose (not so)
* EVAP control unit
* Manufacturer Controlled Auxilary Emissions Control System

So I brought my car to the local mechanic specializing in engines and trans. After checking the car with his OBDII tool he received almost 3 pages of possible causes for the problem. He went through the items on the list isolating it to a few components and placed the order with HONDA expaining the code and the parts he needs. Honda replied with a fax saying that this particular model DOES NOT have the problem with the relays that he found, but rather the ECU is faulty and needs to be replaced...

Now that's all fun and games except for the cost of the unit, from what i was told, the California emissions ECU will cost me about $800-$1000. According to the manual the car has the warranty for the ECU for 8years or 80,000 miles (whichever comes first). What is funny is that I am at 79,495 miles.

Does anyone have any advice for me, has anyone else had experience with ECU problems, and such CLOSE CALL break downs. The reason i ask is my father has an AUDI and the dealer did everything they could to not repair the car. All feedback is appreciated...

thanks,
~Artem