General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 4 cyl auto tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Default 2002 4 cyl auto tranny issues

Hey folks, I have become aware of the 6th gen tranny problems. My '02 Accord SE 4 cyl auto currently has 91k miles and NO problems *knocking very hard on wood*. I am trying to get feedback from folks with the 4 cyl automatic who have had problems as far as how many miles you had on it when the problems started. From what I have been reading, it seems like most (but not all) of the problems were occurring in the V6 equipped Accords. Is this a general consensus amongst everyone? I know you can't guarantee future performance, but I am hoping that if I haven't had any problems yet, maybe I lucked out and got a good one. Crap, I hope this doesn't jinx me! LOL

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 PM

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

I remember reading that the cause was from a bearing falling apart. It would plug up the transmission fluid passages and cause problems. Its not something that you can inspect without taking apart the transmission.

I guess that you can change the fluid more often and try to inspect the transmission fluid for metal shavings or a burnt smell. I don't know if there is anything that you can do preemptively by replacing that bearing that wouldn't be almost as expensive as replacing the transmission.

My guess is that members with the 98-02 transmission problems just posted the problem and are not on here much. You might want to search on here to see what mileage they were at when they had their transmission problems.

I know Honda had an extended warranty on the transmissions. You can probably find the warranty extension and see if your VIN falls within that range.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanks PA, I changed the fluid back in the fall and there was no shavings and no burnt smell at all. Fluid looked pretty good for eighty something thousand miles, IMO. I was thinking that those who did have to replace trannys probably are not Honda fans anymore, and therefore are not regular visitors to the forum. Can't really say that I blame them, though. Hopefully I just missed the bullet with mine.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Check oil-analysis places like blackstone-labs dot com. Maybe they've seen enough Honda ATF so they might know what metals to look for???
Worth a phone call or email to them?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Good call, Jim. I just checked on their website and they do analyze ATF. I'll be sending them a sample and see what they say.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE:2002 4 cyl auto tranny issues

I have a 2002 Accord SE with the 4cyl Auto that I recently had to have the Trans replaced in. I wasn't very happy when I realized that this was such a major issue. I called Honda America and was informed that my model was not covered under the "recalls" that were already made. So, I took it to a "reputable" transmission shop here locally to have it rebuilt. I made several trips to the shop while it was being rebuilt only because I wanted to see what everything looked like (I am not a mechanic anymore and have never really gotten into transmissions). During one of the trips, he showed me the bearing in question and I was satisfied that was the cause. However, I will say this.. I serviced my Accord per the manual, and most of the miles on my Accord are Highway miles. It has 111k on it now and I have the same concern that a lot of other people have in that it may happen again.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi
Don't want to butt in but I found this link when I was researching my problem. You might want to check it out.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/...-failure.shtml

Shirl