General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 4cyl automatic tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2002 4cyl automatic tranny problems

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Someone around here has a real list, but until then....

You need hardware in the console, like brackets & stuff to hold the shift lever itself. Its a cable shifter, so theres 2 cables going to the manual tranny.

Clutch & brake pedal assembly to replace your brake pedal asy.

Clutch hydraulic system (MC & slave & tubing between). Clutch MC doesnt always have the fluid reservoir included because its not directly mounted (its on a hose).

Your radiator has a tranny cooler built in. Leave it there; manual tranny has no need for that cooler.

Flywheel from a manual-tranny engine. ALSO THE BOLTS - they are longer for a MT flywheel.

Clutch assembly = clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing.

Instrument cluster without the PRND32 lamps?

Yourcomputeris a PCM - combined engine & trannycontrol module. I dont know if you can simply disable the portion that controls the tranny. So maybe you need a new PCM.
Dont forget a MT tranny mount to replace the AT one!

You can get a brand new OEM clutch/pressure plate combo for ~$100, flywheel for ~$80. The bolts are about $6/ea and theres 6 or 8 of them.

The shifter assemblies should just swap out, and the tranny cables can be easily mounted, although most of the center console and lower dashboard needs to come out, not that difficult.

You should not need a new cluster, but youll probably need a computer so the D4 light doesnt flash all the time and do other cooky things like put itself into limp mode thinking theres a tranny problem.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13
Either way, the transmission isnt fixable and you will run into the same problem again down the road.
I don't understand this and I see comments like this all over this site when it comes to the transmission issues. It doesn't make sense to me and I also think that it can be a little bit milseading.

The majority of posters who come in here asking about transmission issues, at least those that I have seen since joining this site, are usually driving higher mileage cars. Hell, the car being discussed in this thread has 160,000 miles on it. If running into the "same problem again down the road" means another 160,000 miles... Is that really that bad? Do people expect unlimited mileage out of an automatic transmission? 160,000 miles is a lot of miles and I suspect highway driven Honda's often go significantly further (including the Acura CL I owned and sold with 200,000 miles, and another CL in the family that has over 220,000 miles, both on the original transmission). Is it not long enough for a new transmission to take this car to 320,000 miles? Nothing else is going to fail on this car?

I come here with no bias, as I am driving a 98 Accord which is on its second transmission (put it by the previous owner). This would annoy me, however, the first one died at 165,000 miles. Many manufacturers are known to have vehicles with faulty automatic transmissions, but most of them fail significantly sooner and easier than these Honda's. There is also such a huge number of these cars on the road, we only expect there to be more failurs than average.

I am sorry to come and destroy this thread, but constantly telling everyone that repairing their automatic transmission is a waste because it will fail again just doesn't all add up for me. If you got 160,00 miles with the first one and it is the only problem you have incurred, I would considera replacementanything buta waste.

On a side note, the transmission in my 98 Accord was rebuilt at an independent shop for $1250 (including torque converter). If you find the right place and the right people, this doesn't have to be a $2,000 or $3,000 job and you can often get very good warranty's from these shops (which hopefully survive the times).

And finch13, this is not directed solely at you, but I am just using your post as an example of what is often said. I am sorry about that.

Ok, done.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
jtech
Unregistered

CVshafts and starter the same?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM

i reserched the problem with 98 -02 accords, it was a bad vendor they had and only some of the transmissions are bad ones, i have a freind with a 99 that is approcing 250k miles with no problems with transmission. i would talk to a couple of dealers and see what they say about it, anyway the car if otherwise in good shape is worth the expence in my veiw. they put a new one in my van for free whaen there was nothing wrong. lots of difference in dealers accross the country
Frank Allen