General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Accord climate control

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Default 2002 Accord climate control

I have been having issues with my climate control since I bought my car, I can only use the fan on high, my heater works and all the other buttons work (except of course rear defrost, but the front defrost works!); however, no matter what I do the a/c will not work.

When I originally bought the car, I was told that the only issue with it was the climate control panel needing to be replaced, and so I recently did replace it; however, now not all the lights turn on in the panel (the new climate control). I've tested it out, and when I attempt to turn on the a/c you can hear the compressor start for a moment and then turn off. Soon I'll be taking it to make sure there is enough freon (I believe that's what its called) in the car.

I've read that a bad connection could cause this, so I plan on double checking everything first, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or if they know how to fix it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

(picture of the piece is included

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Accord climate control-20160912_101645.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

What climate control issues did you have when you first bought the car? What issues do you have after you changed the climate control panel (let us know if you have new issues, or some that went away).

Old 09-14-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What climate control issues did you have when you first bought the car? What issues do you have after you changed the climate control panel (let us know if you have new issues, or some that went away).

Originally when I bought the car, the fan worked as well as the heater and the front defroster. The a/c and the rear defroster did not work at all. On the speed **** on the right, the only setting that works is if I turned it all the way on (full blast), no other speed will work and it will turn off immediately, even the auto setting. When I would attempt to turn on the a/c nothing would happen at all, it would only blow normal air. All the lights worked on the panel as well.

After buying a replacement from a parts store and switching them, the same things would happen, except for when I tried turning on the a/c the air compressor would turn on for just a moment, but immediately turn back off. Some of the lights are not working on this panel compared to my original, but everything else seems to be the same before switching it.

Basically, the only changes since the replacement are that some of the lights for the buttons do not come on, and also the a/c compressor turns on for a moment (when it didn't at all before)

Last edited by CatharynEmily; 09-14-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

So the blower inside the car only runs on the high setting?

Was the fan speed **** replaced when you swapped climate controls?

Is the a 4-cylinder or V6? Does the car have climate control, where you can set the temp to 70 and the blower will turn on/off to keep the temperature constant?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 PM

So the blower inside the car only runs on the high setting?

Was the fan speed **** replaced when you swapped climate controls?

Is the a 4-cylinder or V6? Does the car have climate control, where you can set the temp to 70 and the blower will turn on/off to keep the temperature constant?

My car is a v6, and when I switched climate controls it was the entire panel, ***** as well.

It is an automatic climate control, so it does allow me to set the temperatures, but its never turned on/off to keep the temp. constant--or at least I'm not sure. If the automatic version is supposed to do that, then I assume maybe that's where I'm having my problem--its never turned on or off on its own after I've set the temperature

Old 09-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Created a thread on how to get HVAC codes for 98-02 V6 accords with climate control. The link is below. If your control panel looks like the picture, then do the test and post the codes on here.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...05/#post371340

Old 09-15-2016, 06:01 PM

Created a thread on how to get HVAC codes for 98-02 V6 accords with climate control. The link is below. If your control panel looks like the picture, then do the test and post the codes on here.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...05/#post371340
Thank you so much!!
That is exactly what it looks like, so I will be attempting this as soon as I get home.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help, the 100+ degree weather has been killing me this year, thank you again. c:

Old 09-28-2016, 10:23 AM

The HVAC only working on High could be the blower resistor. I believe that is what I had to replace when mine did that. Mine didn't have the auto controls but I replaced the control unit only to have the same problem but the resistor fixed it.