General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 EX tach, oil lamp, cruize control problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Default 2002 EX tach, oil lamp, cruize control problems

I picked up a 2002 Accord EX 2.3l the other day. Great deal and it runs like a champ but the tachometer acts erratic, the oil lamp on the dash stays lit after trying to clear it and the cruise control doesn't even light up. I hooked up kiwi's wifi with dashcommand and no faults other then the O2 sensor came up plus my phone shows the RPM's stable and accurate with acceleration. I did a full tune up and checked the distributor for loose wires and corrosion when I did the cap and rotor. I haven't looked at a wiring diagram yet but does anyone have an idea on what it could be?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Since the oil light is on, check the oil level on the dipstick to make sure you have enough oil.

This could be something as simple as a loose electrical connection on the gauge cluster or multiplex control unit. A problem with those two components. Or three different problems.

What happens when you turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car? Does the oil pressure light turn on and stay on?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM

When I turn it to position 2 the battery and oil lamp are still on. I just changed the oil with filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It is also an automatic. Is there a couple oil sensors on the tranny that could spark the warning lamp? I don't think the oil pump is bad because the car has great acceleration. I suppose if the vtec wasn't kickin in this car would be a lot more sluggish. She has lots of snap.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Check the oil level just to be sure you don't have a leak. It is simple to do.

The oil lamp light can not be cleared. The check engine light can be cleared. Since you have a code, does your check engine light turn on while driving?

Does your cruise control work?

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM

Check engine light doesn't come on and dashcommand doesn't read any trouble codes. No active trouble codes to read or clear. Oil level is good in the engine and tranny. Not burning anything either. I was all up under it to change the oil filter and didn't see any leaks. I saw on a transmission parts diagram their is two oil pressure sensors and one above the engine oil filter. Could the tranny pressure sensors trip the oil lamp? Also the cruise control doesn't work. The fuse is good and its the correct size. Nothing lights up when pressed to engage. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this circuit?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

I highly suggest that you buy a pdf of the shop manual. Automanualsource.com has the pdf for $21.99 and it is worth every penny.

You should test the inputs to the cruise control unit using a volt meter.

With the gauge cluster, I would hate to suggest throwing a part at the problem, because it will be a waste of money and time if that doesnt fix the problem.