General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Honda Accord torque converter locking too early

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 Honda Accord torque converter locking too early

I recently had one of those problematic transmissions in my 2002 Accord SE replaced and when I got it back I realized that the torque converter is locking up way too early (around 30 MPH). I took it back to the transmission shop that performed the repairs and complained about it. The owner of the shop took it for a test drive and when he got back said that he thinks there is something in the engine causing it. I took it to the shop that I used to work for and had him perform a diagnostic. He replaced the EGR valve and the engine runs better but the converter still locks to early. The transmission guy swears it is in the engine and the other guy thinks that the converter was put together too tight. I have heard that a TPS would cause this to happen too. Is there anyone out there that has ever had this issue? Does this transmission have the switch that I could unplug like a lot of American cars do so that I can just go without the converter locking up ever? It's really annoying as it makes it feel like the car is jerking all over the place at speeds below 45 MPH.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: 2002 Honda Accord torque converter locking too early

update... Last night as I was driving my car home, my accord's check engine light came on and I stopped by a friend's house to use his scanner to see what the code is. It came back as a P0420. I know that this is the Catalytic Converter or the Oxygen sensor. What more information do I need to post so that I can get some sort of feedback on this issue?