General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord Torque converter won't stay locked up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Default 93 Accord Torque converter won't stay locked up!

I just got a 1993 Honda Accord SE. It has the 2.2L engine and automatic tranny in it. I don't know if there are any other engines. That's what I have though. The car has 202,000 miles on it. I drove it 200 miles to get it home. On the highway, I noticed that the torque converter was constantly locking and unlocking. It made it home okay, but I know that this isn't good for the tranny. I also noticed that sometimes when I would step on the gas, it would LOCK the torque converter. When I would let off the gas, it would sometimes unlock. That's the opposite of what it should be doing. Anyways, this is my first Honda and I have never encountered this problem on any other vehicles I have owned. Anybody have any ideas? I'm sure it's something simple. I just need to know where to start looking! Thanks!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 Accord Torque converter won't stay locked up!

Is your check engine light on, or is the D4 light flashing?

There are lockup solenoids that lock the engine to the tranny. All you need is a volt meter and a shop manual for the specs.

In our DIY section, there is a link for online manuals that has a 91 accord shop manual as a pdf (similar to your 93). That manual will give you the location the two pairs (I think) of solenoids. One set is the lockup solenoids, and the other is the shift solenoids.

There screens can get clogged that feed those solenoids, so you might want to remove the solenoid and clean both the screen and solenoid. I would also change the transmission fluid using Honda ATF and look for metal shavings on the magnetic drain bolt (if you have one). Look at the condition of the transmission fluid, does it have a burnt smell, change in color, etc...

You might want to change the fluid several times, because you don't get all of the fluid out when you drain the tranny. Maybe do it once a month for 3 months to exchange most of the tranny fluid.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would also make sure that the throttle cable going to the tranny is adjusted properly

Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the info! I don't have a check engine light or a blinking D4 light. I have read other posts on here that also mentioned changingthe tranny fluid with Honda fluid. I will do that. I'll check the silenoid's too. Sounds like a good place to start to me! Also, how do I check the adjustment on the tranny/throttle cable? I'm at work right now and don't have a lot of time to do research at the moment. Thanks guys!