General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Locking Torque Converter issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Default Locking Torque Converter issues

I've been seeing some weird behavior when I'm driving at about 60 or more.
If I press down a little on the throttle, the tach slows down about 200-250 RPM.
If I press even further, the RPMs kick back up 200-250 again.

This just doesn't seem right to me. Is there a sensor somewhere that's flaky possibly?
It's like the torque converter doesn't lock until it's under medium load.
I changed the fluid but no help. No filter on this model as far as I can find.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Locking Torque Converter issues

That all sounds about right, when you go into TC lock up under light load the RPM should rise a couple hundred rpm, when you step into it and go back into 4th the rpm will drop a couple hundred.
You can test the throttle/trans pressure cable adjustment with a test drive.
Drive along under light throttle at 25 mph level road, floor the gas pedal, the trans should downshift all the way to first gear.
Repeat the same drive at 27-28 mph floor the gas and the trans should only drop down to second gear.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:33 PM

I would have thought it was the opposite of what you stated hondadude. I.e., when the TC was locked, it would drop RPM, and if it was unlocked it would increase RPM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't an "old school" TC have inherent slip? Isn't that why they came up with locking TCs?

I played around with the cable adjustment at the transmission today. I backed the cable out 1/8" or so, and it seems to be behaving more reasonably now at highway speeds. It locks up at around 60 mph, and stays locked unless I ask a little bit more of it. Then it drops back into 4th unlocked. If I let off and coast for a ways, and then press the throttle, it comes back unlocked, then relocks like I think it should.

I did check the solenoids and they were all 4 okay (electrically, at least), measuring 16 ohms each. I'm getting codes 1, 2, 7, and 8 on the D4 flashes when I have the test connector jumped. None of those seem to make sense, unless the ATC module is getting flaky. It shifts through all 4 gears in order, although it seems to run out a little more than I'd expect under light acceleration. It gets to around 3000 RPM before it shifts usually. If I lift, it shifts earlier though.

I'll try the downshift tests you mention, but I'm leery of stomping on it until I know the timing belt is good. Right now, I think it might have all 150,000 miles on the factory original belt! I have plans to change that in the near future, very near.

Thanks for your help! And I hope you're having a great (and safe) holiday weekend sir!

Jim

Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure of the rpm change when the TC locks up;
Iwouldn't lie to you about something that serious.