General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Timing Belt Mark Placement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation

if i tap it out, is there a larger bolt that i could purchase to fit into a newly tapped hole? Help me out here, i'm losing my mind.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, you read "in-lbs" as ft-lbs, so attempted to apply 12 times as much torque as necessary. Not surprising you twisted off the bolts.

This is one of the "life-lessons" that you'll laugh about in future. We've all pulled a few boneheads.

Remove valve cover and there may be enough left to grab w/ a vise grip. Otherwise, easy-out procedure req'd. Do some viewing on youtube to understand the procedure before attempting. You should be able to extract the pieces.

good luck

Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Tex, thinking back...should have listened to my Dad...LOL. will check out the videos. But if the hole is so stripped where a typical re-tap would not work, what could i do? are there larger diameter valve cover bolts available?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Worst case, you drill out the hole w/ larger drill and install a special purpose, threaded insert into the hole. They are anchored by various means. Again youtube has lots of videos.

You may want to consider taking the job to a pro whose done this before.

good luck

Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

As TX said, remove the valve cover and see what you have to work with....some may have enough that you can grab it and remove the piece.....others might need an "easy out".....others might have to install something like a "Helicoil" insert.

Be sure to line the head with towels/rags if you have to do any drilling....don't want any metal floating around in the oil.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've checked out the videos and decided to go with the Helicoil. The problem is (after checking everywhere) that i can not find the thread size for the bolt to order the correct helicoil. By eye-balling it, it looks to be a 6mm, unsure it is coarse of fine thread (my guess). Helicoil sizes start at m8. Any help?...thanks as usual.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

M6 x 1.0 is the size I think. Grainger and McMaster-Carr carry them. Bring the bolt to the store to make sure you get the right size.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM

From your posted pics, at least 2 will require inserts. I would caustion to take your time. This is a measure twice, cut once operation for sure.

Good Luck

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks...McMaster seems to have the ones, gonna have to find out if the OEM are fine or coarse ?. Although i'm game for this, pulling out the old broken studs has been a pain in the ***. Gone thru 2 extractors (bought all in town HW-store) and being in a small town by myself is frustrating.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM

Good Luck on your effort. I hope you're not a brain surgeon!

good luck

Quick Reply: 2002 Timing Belt Mark Placement Problem