General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord alarm issue (factory installed)

Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Default 2003 Accord alarm issue (factory installed)

My accord has developed an intermittent problem of the alarm sounding for no apparent reason. It happened a month ago, then not again until a couple days ago. I took it to a dealer yesterday and they we're not able to duplicate it. They told me they could run a test on it for $189.00 and it would take an hour. I had my 81 year old mother with me and we had already been there an hour and a half, so I declined. The service advisor told me if I don't use the fob to lock the car the alarm won't arm. I just want to make sure this is accurate. If I use the door lock switch on the door as I exit the vehicle, does that arm it? How about if I manually push the door locks down? I don't mind not having an alarm system, I just want to be able to lock it without worrying about it activating in the middle of the night. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will need to check your owner's manual for details of arming system and locking doors w/o arming. Some systems will automatically arm once doors are locked. Some trial/error testing would establish the pattern.

I once had a similar problem on 94 EX factory alarm and problem eventually was traced to weak battery. Car would start fine, but battery voltage would decline to a point where alarm would go off. If you have original battery, this could be the problem.

good luck

Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You will need to check your owner's manual for details of arming system and locking doors w/o arming. Some systems will automatically arm once doors are locked. Some trial/error testing would establish the pattern.

I once had a similar problem on 94 EX factory alarm and problem eventually was traced to weak battery. Car would start fine, but battery voltage would decline to a point where alarm would go off. If you have original battery, this could be the problem.

good luck
Thanks for the feedback....much appreciated.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

One more thing if everything else checks out.

The hood switch on these is "kind of " known for going out. Could be grease build up, ect.....if the issue is still there try cleaning the contacts with something, re-lube and see what you have. Many have just removed the wires figuring they have to get in the car to open the hood.....just my two cents.