General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:46 AM
taffgorman
Unregistered
Default 2003 Accord A/C

Just had my wiper motor replaced by the dealer when my a/c fails. All fans, fuses and relays seems fine, even have 12 volts on the wire going into the compressor clutch but the clutch is not engaging. In fact I cannot even move it by hand (engine off of course). Has anyone else had the a/c clutch fail on a 45,600 mile car? I am rather disappointed that two major electrical components woudl fail in a 3 1/2 year old car and within a week of each other. I will be asking Honda for a good will fix on the a/c.

Ian

2003 Accord EX (Japan car)

Old 06-26-2006, 01:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2003 Accord A/C

ORIGINAL: taffgorman

Just had my wiper motor replaced by the dealer when my a/c fails. All fans, fuses and relays seems fine, even have 12 volts on the wire going into the compressor clutch but the clutch is not engaging. In fact I cannot even move it by hand (engine off of course). Has anyone else had the a/c clutch fail on a 45,600 mile car? I am rather disappointed that two major electrical components woudl fail in a 3 1/2 year old car and within a week of each other. I will be asking Honda for a good will fix on the a/c.

Ian

2003 Accord EX (Japan car)

First of all I want to WELCOME you to HAF...........if you get 12 volts at compressor wire,, you got either a bad a/c coil.., too wide of a clutch gap.. or as you say cannot turn the compressor,, the compressor is locked up ..
call Honda and express your disappointment , they might help you out ..

Old 06-26-2006, 01:17 AM
taffgorman
Unregistered

Just to clarify - I can turn the compressor by hand but I cannot press the clutch plate to the pulley. Can on the Mustang and the XJ - they only move about a 1/16 of an inch of course. Feels like the plate cannot move. Almost tempted to get inside the wheel well and to tap the clutch plade with a toffee hammer to see if it comes lose. Might be a bad idea though. It is a pity that the compressor is so hard to get to!

Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Administrator

That hard to get at compressor is what's called Job Security at your Honda Dealer..

Hi And I also [sm=welcomesign.gif] you to the forums..enjoy your days and nights with the best people you can find...All Of Us

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: taffgorman

Just to clarify - I can turn the compressor by hand but I cannot press the clutch plate to the pulley.
if you can turn the compressor than it is not locked up..

But you won't be able to push the clutch plate in,, there are shims behind the clutch plate to keep the gap at a specific gap...behind the clutch plate there is a magnetic coil, when a/c is on and coil gets energized that's what sucks the clutch plate into the compressor and engages it......Now if that gap is too wide, the magnetic coil does not have enough strenght to pull the clutch close..

try something,, with car running, a/c on, get a long screwdriver and push the clutch plate into the compressor , if compressor engages then clutch gap is too wide , it needs to be shimmed properly
So again, if you are getting power at the wire going into the compressor,
there could be a small brake in the wiring from where you are checking it to the coil, a bad coil, clutch gap too wide

Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
taffgorman
Unregistered

No luck with the screwdriver on the clutch plate. Was able to feel a very slight movement in the plate near each of the four pins. Retested electricals - same as before except also checked continuity across the clutch coil via the lead from the switch and found infinity nothing less. So looks like the lead is broken or the coil has failed. Sent Honda a fax yesterday, heard nothing from them today so I'll call tomorrow. Sales manager at dealership agrees that this is unusual but that he hopes Honda will stand behind their product and offer some assistance. Might only be the clutch but I doubt it can be pulled without the compressor coming off the car.