General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord - Cali model or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Default 2003 Accord - Cali model or not?

Forgive me for being long-winded, I know very little about cars and am hopelessly lost in trying to decipher general information sites.

I drive a 2003 Honda Accord EX, 2.4L, automatic in-line 4 cylinder. It just failed the emissions inspection with an error code of P0420, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

I went to Auto Zone (auto parts store) and asked what the likely solutions will be, and what sort of price range I'm looking at. He printed a list of possible causes, the high end of course being that the catalytic converter needs replaced. He said the part for my car would be about $186 (part only). I went to a near by auto repair shop, which charged me about $100 to run the diagnostic, and said that it was indeed the Catalytic Converter. He made a call, and then told me that because my car was the California model, it will be about $560 for the repair, and added that he was surprised because this used to run well over $700.

The only previous owner I am aware of purchased this vehicle in Boston, and my previous mechanic (prior to a recent cross-country move) was a family friend and head of the service department at a Honda dealership, and he never mentioned my car being a California model. This local mechanic seemed extremely arrogant and smug, and as far as instilling any trust, he failed miserably. I've been googling all day, and I saw one page which intimated that cars after 2001 are all manufactured within the California specs, eliminating the California/Federal distinction, which naturally adds to my skepticism.

I need to know how the layman can determine whether or not a car is the California model, and if mine does turn out to be, is $560 really a reasonable expectation? If I have a friend who has a fair bit of know-how (rebuilds cars with his father) tackle this job, how can I make sure I'm getting the right part for my car? And is there any welding involved in the replacement?

Thank you so much for your help.

H&F
2003 Accord 2.4L EX Automatic

Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Not sure about this, but if the engine cover has ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) on it, it's probably a California model.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Your instinct is right. Everything from the 21st century is all built within Cali specs b/c 1.) it's greener 2.) cheaper for the manufacturers to just build 1 type of car in the US, vs different types.
And since Cali has the MOST strict emissions guidelines for cars out of any other state, the car manufacturers conform to Cali and know that they're good to go in all 49 other states.

I don't know how to install the CAT though. That's where my knowledge ends. You definitely should not trust this sketchy mechanic though.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

On a side note, if your Cat is out, then wasn't your check engine light on?
I don't think you're allowed to even do a Smog test if your check engine light is on. The smog shop should have turned you away (or he did it knowing you would fail, just to make some $$$ off you).

At least that's the law in California

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amojeba
Your instinct is right. Everything from the 21st century is all built within Cali specs b/c 1.) it's greener 2.) cheaper for the manufacturers to just build 1 type of car in the US, vs different types.
And since Cali has the MOST strict emissions guidelines for cars out of any other state, the car manufacturers conform to Cali and know that they're good to go in all 49 other states.

I don't know how to install the CAT though. That's where my knowledge ends. You definitely should not trust this sketchy mechanic though.

^ This is an inaccurate statement. Honda still made separate California Emission and 49 State Emission Accords for the OP's car. There should be a Vehicle Emission Control Information label/sticker on the underside of the hood stating whether it is California emissions.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amojeba
On a side note, if your Cat is out, then wasn't your check engine light on?
I don't think you're allowed to even do a Smog test if your check engine light is on. The smog shop should have turned you away (or he did it knowing you would fail, just to make some $$$ off you).

At least that's the law in California

BEEP, wrong answer, that's not the law. if you go for a smog check in california, the shop is obligated to perform an entire inspection of the vehicle, which includes, visual, functional and emissions. the CEL being on is a functional failure.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

H&F - One thing that would be nice to know......do you live in CA or in some other state, it does make a difference on estimating the cost.....the labor is the same so your "friend" will be able to save you $'s if they are willing to help you with the work.

Can you also give us the "eigth" digit of the VIN code - the metal tag you see looking into the bottom of the windshield on the drivers side.