General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord EX 4-cyl oil, window & steering questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Default 2003 Accord EX 4-cyl oil, window & steering questions

Ho Ho Honda!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

approx 118K

Oil:
I read on PQIA's site, that the API SERVICE CLASSIFICATION for engines 2004 and older should be SL ...is it ok to use API SM?
**I know to never use anything before an API SL.
I'm in Austin...should I use a Winter grade or not? ...and lastly, should I only use synthetic with an '03?

Driver Window:
Occasionally, when I do the auto rise, it goes to the top and starts going down...if I hold the button, it stays up.
**I read on another post something about the "pulse" and just want to know if this sounds like it too or something else...

Steering:
Maybe this is the steering belt?
When turning at low speeds, the power steering sometimes gets a little tough/jerky...it only lasts for a few seconds. It's been happening for months, and I'm pretty sure it's the belt I hear when I'm coasting and turning.
**steering fluid level is good and hopefully it's Honda PS (I bought it from Round Rock Honda in '09)
**is the steering belt pretty easy to check and replace if need be? If so, a diagram would be much appreciated. My mom's friend paid $900+ to replace hers a few weeks ago on a fairly new Ford Taurus.

Happy Honda-days!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

API classifications for years now have been backwards-compatible. So in 2004 I guess the most up-to-date was SL. But then SM came out, which was OK to use in SL and older cars. Then SN, etc.

"Winter-grade" oil??? You car probably calls for 5w-20 oil, so that's what I would use. Austin doesn't get cold as Canada, so I don't see any need to use 0w-20.

Synthetic vs. petroleum is like religion & politics. You'll get 400 different strong opinions. I use Castrol GTX in the Hondas and used-oil analysis says it's been good.

If you bought PS fluid from a dealer, and it says "Honda" on the bottle, then you're OK.

There's one big serpentine belt driving the alternator, PS, AC, & waterpump. It's not too difficult to replace yourself, if you want to get your hands dirty. Easiest if you have a helper; one person reaching into the wheel arch, one person up in the engine compartment. Seems like there's a zillion pulleys and you have to remember the complicated path that the belt takes. I think there's a picture of the belt in the owner's manual. If you want to replace it yourself, let us know so we can give better instructions.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

5W20 is the recommended oil, i use synthetic, mostly around town driving, 7500 mile interval.

doubt it's the belt, sounds more like the rack/pinion starting to go south

window? well, could be the limit switch or the anti-pinch function, could be an adjustment?? have to pull the panel and inspect...if you are comfortable doing that.