General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord Falls out of gear - has to do with slow crank condition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Default 2003 Accord Falls out of gear - has to do with slow crank condition?

Hello folks,

I'm chasing a problem where my 2003 accord slips out of gear. Typically when starting from first gear. When cold it's OK but once warmed up it will slip. This is not with the shifter moving. With a little gas it might catch and maybe not. If it catches usually subsequent shifts will be at a higher than normal rev followed by a bang into 2nd. Sometimes it just won't go into 2nd. I pulled off the shift solenoids and tested them and they both click when cold and hot (oven at 250 degrees) when 12v is applied.

Now my spidey sense tells me this maybe this has to do with the car's slow crank condition in other words an electrical problem. The battery is new , fully charged, and starts my chevy 350 just fine. But SOMETIMES and often when turning to start the accord engine cranks slowly and then clicks like a drained battery. Repeated key turns and the battery sounds more and more drained that is no crank and just clicking. A whole bunch of key off and on/start and then it cranks and starts.

So I want to start solving the electrical problem first, then see if the trans problem remains.

Any suggestion on how to proceed? Thanks for comments!

Old 02-15-2020, 06:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would check my starter then look at the ignition relay under the dash. Also check your battery cables all the way to the starter. Those are the only things that cranks the car. Has the ignition switch been changed before? I only ask because it's an 03 with a lot of miles but if it were going out you wouldn't get the click