General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Broken glove box wont close

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Default 2003 Broken glove box wont close

Hi Everyone,
I am new here because i have a problem with my 2003 Accord. My Dad gave me the car but the glove box is broken and hangs open. It wont close.

I put the car key in and tried to turn the lock either left or right and it wont turn. The locking mechanism is in the close position so it wont close. It just hangs open and is annoying.

The glove box latch which is plastic wont open much as i put the key in and try to turn the lock. I have seen a few internet posts talking about removing the lock. Supposedly there is a wire you have to pry on to get the lock out.

I called the local dealer and they said have to buy a complete new glove box which would cost about $400. Getting on from the junkyard wouldnt work they said.

But i am thinking only the lock or cable is damaged. I dont think the whole glove box needs to be replaced?

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to fix the glove box?
Andrew

Old 12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

You can try removing the key cylinder to see if that is the issue.

This link has part of the service manual info. on removing the cylinder.

http://www.justanswer.com/honda/6199...-position.html

Replacement glove box key cylinders are available from Honda.
Honda Part Number: 77520-SDA-A01

Old 12-04-2014, 05:21 PM

I removed the cylinder per your post. Thank you very much. It worked just as you said. Upon pulling it out i could move the lock mechanism with the key left and right. No problems there. Inside the sealed glove box was a control arm that was not attached to the part that hooks to the inside latch mechanism. I tried making a hook to re-attach it but the forces needed are too strong. Also there is no working area to get in there and do what is needed. It seems like the only option now is go to a junkyard and get a new box but dont put in the tumbler. All i care at this point is to open and close the glove box door. I didnt realize how fragile it is. Comments out there?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Check the glove box latch and see if there is paper or something else in there that is preventing the latch from closing and latching. If there is something in there and does not fully latched then the key would not be able to turn. Clean and lubricate the glove box latch and try again. It is possible that someone put too much stuff in the box and it was slammed shut, thus either clogging the latch mechanism or braking something internally. Fortunately it is not that common for the the previous to happen, but it does on occasion.