General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange hissing noise from behind glove box

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
philzy87
Unregistered
Default Strange hissing noise from behind glove box

I have a 95 Accord v6 with 150 k miles. I bought the car in full working condition. Suddenly about 2 weeks ago I lost all cool air from my A/C and the heat stopped working. I recharged the a/c system with r134a, but shortly after I heard a loud pop that came from behind the glovebox...it almost sounded like a pressure explosion. Behind the glove box there is a constant hissing noise at all times. When I accelerate, the hissing becomes louder and louder the faster I go.

I took the car to get checked for a leaked in the system but I was told it was leak-free. The mechanic charged the a/cfor me, but a few days later I heard the same POP sound and I got no more cool air.

On top of all this, my car is overheating. I put water in the radiator and checked for leaks. No leaks, still overheating.

I'm wondering if these problems are somehow related since they all occurred at once. I searched all over the internet looking for answers but I can't find anyone that knows how to help. If someone could let me know what they think so I can get this all fixed it would be greatly appreciated. It's hot as hell out and I've been sweating my *** off driving to work and back.

Thanks,
Phil

Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Strange hissing noise from behind glove box

You might have multiple problems, but I have a few questions.

The hissing sound behind your glovebox could be that the evaporator has a leak when you charged it (or overcharged). Are you sure that the A/C is holding the freon charge?

When the A/C and heat stopped working, did the fan still blow air out of the vents at all speed settings? When you turn on the A/C does the a/c compressor clutch engage? Do both radiator fans turn on when you turn on the A/C?

As for the overheating, is the radiator full of coolant or do you have to add coolant to the system?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
philzy87
Unregistered
Default RE: Strange hissing noise from behind glove box

I was told the hissing might be the evaporator because of the location of the hissing...The a/c holds the charge until the POP sound and then I loose all cool air.

Yea the fan still blows air out at all speeds. Im not exactly sure how to check for the compressor clutch engaging. And yes, both fans turn on when I hit the A/C button.

I just purged the radiator and filled it with more coolant. I made sure that there was no leaks. I drove about a mile and my thermostat was reading 90%.