General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Honda Civic LX(A/T) Died While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Guys any input or feedback, please?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 AM

The crank pulley doesn't have anything to do with mechanical timing. Only the crank timing pulley does.

The crank pulley just slides on. If you put a little oil on the threads before you put the bolt on that makes it less likely to seize up for the next time you need to remove it.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yes, that makes sense because we used some engine oil on crank pulley bolt when we tightened it last time.

Today we looked at cam gear as it's feeling really loose, we discovered that cam gear has a key/tooth which goes into camshaft and it's missing/broken from cam gear

Clearly seems like an apparent reason for timing to go off

Now, should I buy a whole Cam or can I just buy Cam gear with a good key/tooth?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a good video for TB installation on a civic. The engine is out of the car on this video, but the procedure is the same.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

As always, thanks so much guys. This is a really helpful video

What about this question?

Now, should I buy a whole Cam or can I just buy Cam gear with a good key/tooth?

Last edited by faran; 04-28-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default Crank pulley CAN mess up mechanical timing

Before you say the pulley cannot affect mechanical timing, you need to verify that your crank pulley is not slipping. You set mechanical timing by lining up notches on the outer rim of the pulley. Like I said, it's not very obvious, but there's a layer of hard rubber in there somewhere.

Clean up the pulley. Your photos show the inner face of the pulley, but you should mark the outer face, with some white paint or something like that. That way you can see the mark without removing the pulley.

The first marked-up photo shows how you should make a mark. After running the engine for a bit, check the mark. If it looks like the 2nd photo, then your pulley is slipping.

If you find that the pulley is slipping, then your mechanical timing is NOT REALLY changing. Only the outer rim of the pulley is shifting it's position.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Honda Civic LX(A/T) Died While Driving-crank-pulley-mark1.jpg   2003 Honda Civic LX(A/T) Died While Driving-crank-pulley-mark2.jpg  

Last edited by JimBlake; 04-28-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 AM

Regarding the cam gear you just need a new camshaft key. Yes, that would cause the camshaft to move which would definitely affect the mechanical timing. The only thing holding it in place is the timing belt and the belt obviously has lots of give.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks so much JB, regarding about marking those notches with white layer, I would still have to close everything and then if crank pulley is going to change it's position then I will be doing the whole T/B process again, correct?

HM, can I just buy the key or I have to buy the whole cam sprocket/gear? Should I buy the cam too or just cam sprocket/gear(Or key) would be suffice?

Any idea, which civic years/models will have the same cam sprocket/gear?

Thanks again guys

Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

First you need to get a new key for the camshaft sprocket. I can't believe I missed that part of the story. Need that FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. If you allow the timing to keep moving, then it will eventually get far enough away that the engine won't run and/or the pistons will hit the valves.

Majestic Honda's website shows that the key is available by itself from a dealer for about $1.00 so it's not worthwhile to mail-order that.

Mark the pulley, put it all back together, then drive around for a day. If you find the marks come apart like I showed, then you need to buy a new crankshaft pulley. When you install the new one, you'll have to look at the timing marks to determine whether you need to adjust the mechanical timing again, to get it back where it belongs.

Last edited by JimBlake; 04-29-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Sorry JB for late response, first of all as always thanks so much for your help and knowledgeable advise.

I have "NO" idea how you "PEOPLE" know all of this stuff

We are still trying to find ''key'' from my local dealers and going to post back as soon as will receive the key.

Last edited by faran; 05-02-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda Civic LX(A/T) Died While Driving