General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Sunroof Glass UV Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Default 2003 Sunroof Glass UV Characteristics

My friend has had skin cancer understandably avoids UV as much as possible. I thought glass filtered out UV rays, but it turns out that it filters out UVB, but not UVA. Checking further, I have found that windshield glass blocks UVA as well because of the plastic film in the laminated glass. Most side and back windows are tempered glass, but that doesn't block UVA. Some manufacturers are now adding UV film to side and rear windows as a way to keep the interior cooler, and I'm told that some sunroof glass has had this for a while since the roof location translates to a hot sun beating down on people in the car.

I've looked at my '03 Accord. The side windows say tempered glass, so I know they are not likely to have any UVA blocking qualities. The sunroof glass says it is "safety glass" but it is not the same wording or notation as is noted on the windshield. I can't find references to tell me any more about type of glass (and possibly film) is used in this sunroof. It does have a darker tint than the side windows, but I don't know if this means it is also blocking UVA.

Does any happen to know about this? Or know of a resource to point me where I might be able to find out?

I'd like to be able to keep the glass exposed as I like the light in the car, but I don't want to expose her (or myself) to UVA light as a result.

BTW, there are numerous articles that cite higher rates of skin cancer on the left side of the driver's faces and left arms in the US, and the same on the right side for UK drivers. Some of this results from open windows, but apparently closed side windows do not provide full protection either. ... Just when you thought it was safe to go out ....

FYI, http://www.skincancer.org/prevention...ds-in-your-car

Anyway, thanks in advance for any pointers people can provide.

Thanks

Tom

Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

"Safety glass" means it has the plastic layer laminated between the glass layers. But that doesn't prove whether or not it's the same kind of plastic (same level of UVA protection) as the windshield.

For that matter, does your reading indicate that all windshield glass is good UVA protection? Or maybe some glass manufacturer's better than others?

You got me a bit curious but I don't have any real answers for you.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM

My understanding is that all windshields block UVA due to the nature of their construction. I haven't seen anything to suggest a variation due to the plastic used. The thickness of the glass also helps.
Glass In Car Windows Doesn

I wondered if "safety glass" meant laminated. I hadn't seen a specific reference say that. Wikipedia's definition of safety glass includes both laminated and tempered glass.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Forgot to add this link to the Enhanced Protective Glass Automotive Association (EPGAA)

EPGAA

They list some manufacturers, but not Honda. Apparently some manufacturers are starting to put "protective" glass on other windows, to reduce noise, heat capture and UV protection.