General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Accord brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 PM
snowice
Unregistered
Default 2004 Accord brake light problem

My brake lights on my 2004 Honda Accord V6 sedan don't work when I stepped on the brake pedal but the 3rd brake light on the rear window does work. Fuse is ok. And all of my tail lights work so the bulbs are alright. Also, it can't have all (4) of the bulbs out at once. Some say that the break light switch could go bad but if that was the case then the 3rd brake light would not work right? Any help please! Thanks!!!

PS. I just had my timing belt replaced last week. Do you think that could cause the problem? I don't think they are related, but just wanted to make sure.

Last edited by snowice; 10-26-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Its probably not likely that the TB work caused problems.

The brake pedal switch is likely working.

For the bulb to light up you need two things, voltage and ground. The voltage is supplied from the brake switch. The ground should always be available. Those two brake lights likely share a ground point.

Use a volt meter on an empty bulb socket. Test for continuity to ground (or zero resistance) on the black wire side. Also check for 12V on the other color wire with the brake pedal pushed down. You may need and assistant for that one or a weight to hold down the brake pedal.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
snowice
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply PAhonda.

Anyways, it was the light bulbs. They are (2) element light bulbs... the brake light element was blown.

Last edited by snowice; 10-27-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Default It's probably the bulbs!

I just spent a day messing with the brake lights issue. I had the same scenario: high mount brake light worked but not the rear brake lights. I messed with the bulbs, checked the ground, and even replaced the switch even though I didn't need to. I should have stuck with my research that said the switch is good if the high mount comes on. It only ran me $9.00 so no biggie.
After most of the day passed by I'd had enough, so I took it to my local Honda dealer and they called me within an hour and told me it was the bulbs. Prior to taking it to the dealer it appeared the bulbs were still good when I looked at them so I changed one of them and still no luck. Maybe I should have replaced both of them. Who knows? The dealer actually replaced my brake and turn signal lights and all was good. They dropped their minimum diagnostic fee in half to $37.50 and the bulbs ran me another $18. The service writer told me that even though a bulb looks good there may be a hairline crack in it to render it useless.
My suggestion would be to replace the brake and turn signal lights.