General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Accord Coupe Door Wont Open - Pls Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Default 2004 Accord Coupe Door Wont Open - Pls Help !!!

PLEASE HELP !!! I have a 2004 Accord Coupe - my passenger door wont open using inside or outside handles - this happened after I replaced the door lock actuator. I'm going to try pulling the door panel off with the door closed (from the inside). Once I have access to the inside of the door - is there a way to manually unlock and OPEN THE DOOR so I can then un-screw the door lock to remove and inspect it and work on it ? I think the metal plate that holds the actuator was installed wrong and causing the door to not be able to open now. I REALLY APPRECIATE HELP ON THIS AND THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR A Prompt SOLUTION OR RECOMMENDATION !!! bruce777

Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Following video may be helpful. Your 04 door trim is likely slightly different so a shop manaul will be helpful to guide work.

good luck

Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Thank You kindly for your quick response !!! Specifically though, on a 2004 Accord Coupe, is there a specific location on the lock itself - like a rod or pin that can be hooked, pulled or pushed so the door lock will release and the door will then open ? Thanks Again ! bruce777

Old 06-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hopefully the lock is same or similar to the lock in the video.

The difficult part is removing the door panel for access. Here briansmobile1 tips should be useful. Once access is gained, you will need to explore the latch assy looking for the mechanism that is not working. Notice the latch arm was moving w/ door handie, but was not pushing the pin.

A further suggestion is to purchase a new door lock assy from Honda. You surely wouldn't re-use the old one unless you left something dis-connected when you replaced the actuator. The new door lock assy will provide ability to see where the in-place lock can be manipulated to release the door.

good luck

Old 06-04-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks TexasHonda and Briansmobile1 for all your invaluable info, insite and help !!! I just wrapped up the job this morning (took about 3 hours). Summary : 1) taking off the door panel with the door stuck closed was not that bad (pulling panel up from the outside while leaning in from window) 2) removing door switches cover and un-plugging and removing the wires plug, before pulling off the door panel - made the job easier - instead of un-plugging after panel is off) 3) once door panel was off - close inspection revealed that the door open cable (nylon cable head) was broken and cable was partly pulling all of the time - my deduction is that this somehow caused the door lock to be hung up and thus would not open using inside or outside handles. 4) after replacing with a new cable and greasing all the moving parts in the lock and thoroughly testing everything (by engaging the latch with a screw driver) - the panel was put back on and Life is Good Again. Thanks again to Both of you for the time and cost (not to mention frustration) saving tips. Hope that this info will also be helpful to others.