General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Electrical Snafu

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Default 2004 Electrical Snafu

My 2 remotes shine red when they are pushed but the car doesn't respond to any entry (panic, trunk, locks). My power locks are dead when in the car whenever the key is off. The lights on the monochrome screen are no longer lit however the climate control and satellite radio works normal. I have an engine maintenance light on which drove a tech crazy at the oil change shop. He tried to reset it for 10 minutes holding the display **** in from keys off-to-turn on position... this by the way turned out the airbag light which is on all time. He attached a diagnostic computer to my car and there is nothing wrong. One more thing, I can leave parking/headlights in the on position because when the key is not on they go out. Thoughts anyone?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Generally, help type questions should be posted to the General Tech Help section.

Sounds like several issues here. We need more info. on your 2004, like model trim level (for example, Accord LX, EX, EX-L, with or without Navigation, coupe or sedan, 4 or 6 cylinder).

For the remotes and door locks, possible problem with the driver's side Mutiplex Control Unit. Don't know if door lock actuator are a problem yet based on the info. posted.

If this is the radio with the navigation system, which display is out? The upper (smaller) display with the clock or the lower, larger display area?

If the maintenance required light still can't be reset, it may need to be reset by using Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) - Honda's propriety tool that has more capabilities than what an oil change shop's computer scanner or most other independent shops can do.

The automatic lighting off feature is standard, except for the DX level. -- So, that is not an issue.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Exclamation Hi New Member

When you need better answers and information, you need to post better information so that the questions can be answered correctly..

I moved this post to where it belonged, so Please watch where you stick your questions from now on..

Thanks for joining: WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Default Details on model/engine

I have a V6. The trim level is EX. There is no nav. The screen is for climate control and satellite radio. The display still has a readout in direct sun light or LED flashlight.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

For the remote and door lock problem. It sounds like a problem with the driver's side under-dash multiplexer. The multiplexer is part of the fuse/relay box. -- Somewhat common problem on your generation Accords.

One question, can you confirm whether it doesn't lock with the keyless remote or power door lock; but, can unlock with them just fine? if so, this would be more indicative of the multiplexer.

Try this reset procedure to see if anything changes.

"Remove both battery cables (making sure you have your radio code handy after you install the cables) and touch them together for about 15 minutes. Keep in mind that you're not touching the battery posts together, just the cables. A jumper wire is best used for this purpose. This will drain any residual power retained by electrical components--a resetting of sorts."

If nothing changes, the problem is probably the mulitplex control unit. See this link to see the multiplexer I am referring to.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x03-029e.pdf

The display problem is an issue in the printed circuit board of the unit. Honda issued technical service bulletins regarding the problem.

This first TSB was superseded; but, I included it to give more info.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...6&d=1170385997 -- The replacement circuit boards are no longer separately available for purchase.

This next was the subsequent TSB regarding the problem:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=673

The next link, is for someone fixing the problem himself, at his own risk:
No Display Radio Fix - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-04-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Corrected some info.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 PM

redbull-1 or anyone else out there that can help. I removed my radio from the dash and jumped the resister that was defective. Once I got everything back together I tuned on the switch and the radio display came on and the problem seemed to be fixed. Then I proceeded to turn the parking lights on to see if the HVAC controls would light up and when I did the radio display went blank again. I turned the switch off to see if the lights would come back on but they didn't. If I disconnect the radio and then reconnect it the diplay will light back up, but as soon as I turn the parking switch on, the diplay goes black again. Is something wrong with the switch???

Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

You can try replacing the SMD (surface mount device) fuse aka varistor at circuit board location R797, instead of jumping it with a wire.

See post #6 in this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-system-59760/