General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Accord Coupe Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Default 2005 Accord Coupe Transmission Problem?

Hey guys,

I purchased a 2005 Accord Coupe, V6 automatic last year with just under 80k miles on it--we're up to 92k now. Driving it last Sunday, the car started feeling sluggish and it felt like I was really mashing the gas pedal to get up to 55mph. I also noticed the car seemed to slow down rapidly whenever I removed my foot from the gas, even on straightaways. Monday, driving to work, the car still felt sluggish and started vibrating -- it felt like I was receiving a vibrating foot massage on the drive home.

I dropped the car off at the dealership Monday night, for scheduled maintenance to replace the timing belt and flush the transmission, and told them about my driving experience for the last couple of days. When I spoke with them on Tuesday, they said it could be either the coil in the fuel pump or the transmission but they couldn't reproduce the problem. When I picked the car up, the problem seemed to have dissipated.

Driving in this morning, I noticed the car still losing speed on flat stretches of road at a rapid clip (several MPH in the span of a couple seconds), and the car didn't seem to pick up much speed, if any, going down hills. Almost like a brake wasn't completely disengaged somewhere. (Yes, the parking brake was off). The car also started vibrating beyond normal at one point (really short foot massage), going around a turn on the highway, but it stopped within a couple seconds.

I drove around in the neighborhood for a bit and checked my transmission fluid (brand new as of Tuesday) and it didn't smell burnt, the car's not leaking fluids besides some condensation off the A/C system, and I'm flummoxed as to what caused / is causing the car to behave funny. I haven't noticed any unusual jerking or grinding when changing gears nor unusual rpms. The car idles around 600rpm and changes gears between 2k and 2500rpm consistently depending on if I'm going up a hill or not. The only other thing I've noticed out of the ordinary is an occasional faint odor of something briefly blowing through the AC. It doesn't linger and it's extremely faint--the only thing I could think of is the rubber on the new timing belt heating up or the AC motor having issues.

I'd appreciate any help/advice to diagnose if there's anything wrong with the car.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm moving this to General Tech as I think it "fits" better here.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

So, no Check Engine Light or other indicator lights on the dash?

From the sounds of it so far, it does not sound like a transmission problem. Normally if it was transmission related, the engine would rev (tach jump); but, the car would not accelerate accordingly, etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info, sorry for the delayed response. I was out of the house all weekend. Driving around over the weekend and into work today, I noticed the engine started revving as I pulling away from stop lights and the gears would sometimes jump to 3k rpm before switching when coming out of a low gear. It wasn't consistent behavior, but it was new. I tended to notice more when I was applying more gas for a rapid acceleration more so than when I did a slow gradual start away from the light.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

too many of these v6 trannys having problems...